Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 1/2 build

I got a small 2 1/2 gallon tank that I want to make a sw tanks, I have a small tomato clown that's getting pick on in my 20 gallon so I want to put him in there. If I use the water from my 20 gallon and a couple of live rock do I have to cycle the tank??

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You would have to cycle the tank. PLUS you can't put a clown in a 2.5g tank LOL. It's good for shrimp and inverts but thats about it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

He's the size of a nickel, I just want his fins to recover, will that work??
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
You would have to cycle the tank. PLUS you can't put a clown in a 2.5g tank LOL. It's good for shrimp and inverts but thats about it.
+1
yep he might be small but you are talking about a TOMATO CLOWNFISH . Even small they swim more then the regular ones do , so the stress of him just being in there can cause him to get sick.
Try and setup at least a 10g
Hope it works out.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would also recommend a 10g tank for occasions like this. The 2.5 might stress the clown out so much more that he dies. :-( You can get a 10g tank at walmart for like $12. You'll have to change the water everyday though since it wont be cycled.

What fish is bothering it in your 20g?

Good luck with your fish.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would also recommend a 10g tank for occasions like this. The 2.5 might stress the clown out so much more that he dies. :-( You can get a 10g tank at walmart for like $12. You'll have to change the water everyday though since it wont be cycled.

What fish is bothering it in your 20g?

Good luck with your fish.
A bigger clown and I think the Chromis
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

All the fish are doing good. I added some polish pads to my AC 50 and did a skimmer mod to it to pick up my top junk. My tank has a Little agley but not bad, the tank just has particles floating around. What can I do to clear it up. I have a 20 gallon tank. Also should I add a skimmer or uv stabilizer?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you keepup on your water changes you can go without a skimmer unless of course you have the extra cash and feel like spending some.

I run my 29g cube with no skimmer adn ran my regular straight 29 without one for awhile until I started accumulating corals. I can't get nitrates back to 0 but thats my fault for the way I feed and probably wouldnt improve even with a skimmer.

So the fish are getting along better now then? Thats good to hear.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skimmer maybe how about uv stabilizer??
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats one of those big debates in sw I think. lol Some people swear by them some say they are useless. I havent used one, yet, I am open to the idea but I don't think it's a good idea for my setup. I heard it can kill pods from a refugium so I stayed away.

There some threads on here if you search it, you'll see what I mean. It's like a 50 50 split for or against.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com