Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Brennan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 134
2.5 gallon coral reef?

Ok so i really want to have a coral reef but i have a 155 gallon tank and it is going to cost a ton to stock the tank with corals so what if i just made a little 2.5 gallon reef i have a 15 watt heater and the tank already and i would take substrate and some live rock rubble from my main tank and the water so it wouldn't need a cycle also would a 15 watt fluorescent bulb work to grow corals and i would do a half gallon water change every 5 days. Then once the corals grow in my 2.5 i could frag them and put into the 155 cause i want some corals in it but not loaded and i would keep the 2.5 loaded. So if this is a good idea or if it would work let me know also i would only keep easy stuff like mushrooms polyps zoas stuff like that

Edit also have a 5 gallon tank spare if that would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Brennan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
So bear with me as I'm not a marine expert (started my first marine tank about 6 months ago) but generally if you're starting your first marine tank, bigger is better.

The larger amount of water leads to more stability in water parameters (it's harder for parameter spikes in larger water). So if you start a 5g, which is doable, you will REALLY have to stay on top of everything.

Generally it's kind of the opposite mentality for marine to fresh. Fresh you start smaller tanks and move up, while marine you wanna start large and work down.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Brennan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic_Adam View Post
So bear with me as I'm not a marine expert (started my first marine tank about 6 months ago) but generally if you're starting your first marine tank, bigger is better.

The larger amount of water leads to more stability in water parameters (it's harder for parameter spikes in larger water). So if you start a 5g, which is doable, you will REALLY have to stay on top of everything.

Generally it's kind of the opposite mentality for marine to fresh. Fresh you start smaller tanks and move up, while marine you wanna start large and work down.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well i mean i do already have a 155 gallon saltwater tank going its just a FOWLR atm but i really want a coral reef so i was thinking of turning my 2.5 or 5 gallon tank into a reef so it wont cost as much money to buy all the corals it would cost to stock the 155


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Brennan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
keegster803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 1,341
A 2.5 nano reef is doable, what kind of tank, like what model? And what kind of filter is on it? And if I were you, I'd invest in a different light for your tank, if you look on Amazon, you can find some good cheaper lights.


Sent via echolocation
__________________
keegster803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Brennan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegster803 View Post
A 2.5 nano reef is doable, what kind of tank, like what model? And what kind of filter is on it? And if I were you, I'd invest in a different light for your tank, if you look on Amazon, you can find some good cheaper lights.


Sent via echolocation

It's just a standard rectangle glass tank. But i do have a 5 gallon if that would be better could even use a 10 of i need to. But i read somewhere online that as long as you have live rock you don't need a filter and my LR is 14 years old so it definitely has enough bacteria in it. Plus i have been reading that a florescent bulb will work for corals but you have to get the right bulb but i will check into a lighting system on amazon. I dont plan on having any fish in the tank either just coral and maybe a few hermits and snails or a shrimp


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Brennan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ricksreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newport News
Posts: 1,109
What kind of light do you have in the 155 gallon?
Assuming you have the right light for corals on it,you might as well start putting frag corals in It and letting them grow.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Ricksreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Brennan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
What kind of light do you have in the 155 gallon?
Assuming you have the right light for corals on it,you might as well start putting frag corals in It and letting them grow.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a coral life 6 ft light on it with 96 watt bulbs I don't know if its good or not for corals i bought the whole tank setup off craigslist


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Brennan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus
 
Jimbo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,996
What kind of corals are you interested in? If you are interested in mostly zoas and softies 2.5 will be fine. If you want to do a mix or get into SPS you still could do the 2.5 but a 5 or 10 is going to give you a lot more room for growth and more stable parameters. I tried mostly SPS in a 3g pico and keeping it stable was a nightmare.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
__________________
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Brennan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
What kind of corals are you interested in? If you are interested in mostly zoas and softies 2.5 will be fine. If you want to do a mix or get into SPS you still could do the 2.5 but a 5 or 10 is going to give you a lot more room for growth and more stable parameters. I tried mostly SPS in a 3g pico and keeping it stable was a nightmare.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah just easy to keep corals


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Brennan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Beej1254's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 613
One of my LFS has 3 nano tanks setup 2 of which are saltwater with corals. I think they are in the 2.5 gal range because they are tiny. They have anything from zoas to frogspawn to rock flower anemones in them. They all look great but I'm sure they have to be watched closely. Next time I'm there (hopefully tomorrow ahh crossing my fingers lol) I'll get pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Beej1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
25 gallon, 5 gallon, coral, coral reef, gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
29 gallon coral reef move. Bdonaldson Saltwater Reef Aquaria 233 06-18-2017 02:20 PM
Upgrading from 16 gallon to 38 gallon reef tank. MBliss81 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 45 08-10-2012 04:05 PM
My 75 gallon Reef with 20 gallon sump Ricksreef Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 2 05-21-2011 05:43 PM
reef or coral reef? Jereli Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 28 10-23-2010 01:53 PM
DIY 5 gallon refugium for 20 gallon reef- need help Lance M. DIY Projects 4 01-04-2007 12:06 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.