Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Question 2 clowns and a mandarin

ok guys i want to get a couple clowns and a mandarin what is the smallest tank i can get cause i want to start off small as this will be my first salt water tank and what will i need for them? will a 33 gallon work cause i already have one?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mandarin needs pods so the larger the tank the better. Most mandarins starve to death since they don't see prepared food as something they should eat. If

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you are new to SW you should read up on cycling the fishless way. and you will find out that a pair of clowns is about all you can get for a 33g. You could do 2 clowns and a goby or something small that hangs out on the bottom. Mandarins are difficult to keep as joy stated, Even the ORA ones are proving hard to keep.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yeah for sure i did a fishless cycle on all my other tanks and thats cool but a mandarin is a goby so what type of goby do you mean? what could i keep with clowns in a 33 gallon as i dont want to do live rock and coral yet cause iam new to SW?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mandarin is not a goby, it is a dragonet. That is a common misconception, many stores label them incorrectly. What you aren't understanding is the level of care required for one. They need a very mature tank with tons of live rock and pods or they will starve. As the others have mentioned, there are tank raised mandarins, but sometimes they revert back to eating pods. There is no way your tank could support it if that happened. You should really consider another more hardy fish.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i have two in my mothers tank she just wants me to take them back they both eat frozen shrimp but she also has live rock and copepods ok so i will leave them at her house what can i keep with 2 clowns or 1 clown? 33 gallon and what will i need for them only fish that dont need coral or anything like that i guess its called a fish only sw
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 35 gallon hexagon tank, I kept a pair of clowns and some inverts. There really aren't many options, you could keep a couple of neon goby fish, they are very colorful and have a low bioload.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21
A mandarin is not a goby, it is a dragonet. That is a common misconception, many stores label them incorrectly. What you aren't understanding is the level of care required for one. They need a very mature tank with tons of live rock and pods or they will starve. As the others have mentioned, there are tank raised mandarins, but sometimes they revert back to eating pods. There is no way your tank could support it if that happened. You should really consider another more hardy fish.
+1
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ok great can i keep 3 clowns and nothing else? plus what will i need for them can i do gravel or do i need sand and what filter and stuff like that?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could keep a couple neon goby in addition to a pair of clowns and be fine.

Tags
clown, clowns, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com