2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. how important is it for the tank to have darkness? im sorta an insomniac and the tank is in my room so it doesnt get a whole lot of darkness.

2. ever tried looking at a tank under a black light? anything cool?

1. how important is it for the tank to have darkness? im sorta an insomniac and the tank is in my room so it doesnt get a whole lot of darkness.

Its important to the natural biological process. Complete darkness might not be needed but almost no light is needed so fish can sleep and corals can rest.

2. ever tried looking at a tank under a black light? anything cool?

I have not done this but the actinic lights we use is very near the black light sprectirum. So you get a very simular effect from using those lights and since its not mostly ultraviolet light your not hurting any of the photosyntheic algae by using the actinic lights.

I have heard that extended use of a black light is very harmful to fish.

It should be as consitant as possible. In the natural habatat the light/dark cycle for most tropical saltwater fish is very close to 12hrs on/off.

I have timmers on all my tanks so my lights come on/off at the same timeframe every day.

Back
Top Bottom