Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 questions........

How long should I wait for the water to settle down before purchasing anemones?

Why the Clown fish isn't eager to eat the food given to them? I fed them with pellets ( for all kinds of marine fishes ), but they kept spitting it out.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i personally would avoid buying an anemone but if you are going to look in to the tank raised have heard they fair better also have read that the tank should be established for a long time before you add them..clowns will host a lot of different corals that are much hardier and as far as the eating issue when i got my clowns they were 2 small to eat anything except the smaller pieces of flake now they tackle the larger flakes as bell as the blender mush reeflady posted the recipe for.

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: 2 questions........

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrmc4
i personally would avoid buying an anemone but if you are going to look in to the tank raised have heard they fair better also have read that the tank should be established for a long time before you add them..
Excellent advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Why the Clown fish isn't eager to eat the food given to them? I fed them with pellets ( for all kinds of marine fishes ), but they kept spitting it out.
The size as already stated is probably much to large for them to eat. Fortified marine flakes and other easily dissolved "breakable" substitutes would be better.

Here is s link to >>ReefLady's Blender Mush<<

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
water to settle down
This suggest that the tank is not even a week old, have you cycled it?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I'd like to further corroborate the fact that the size of the pellets is almost certainly the problem. I use those pellets to feed my crabs because they get all the way to the bottom without my chromis being able to eat them. They try to, but they just spit them back out. Unfortunately I just got a fish that's big enough to eat them, so now my crabs are having to do without until I come up with a better plan.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
the pellets are okay... are you sure they spit it back out? my clown and my yellow tang take it bit by bit.. looks like they spit it out..
Old 07-30-2003, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of them ate it, and it ate only one pellet, the other two noticed the pellets, they felt curious, but when they get near to the pellets, they swim away, i really don't know if they don't like pellets or what. The pellets are really small, i'm sure they are able to eat it. Btw all three clown are of the same size.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Btw all three clown are of the same size.
I must have missed that bit somewhere along the line. Three clowns are not very advisable. Once two decide to pair (and it will happen) they will most probably kill the third. I would suggest taking one out, even in large tanks this is rarely advised.

I would leave the very largest and the smallest if there is a sizable difference between the three.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com