2 questions for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevyMv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first question is that i bought a 90 gallon tank on sunday from a buddy. It came with a complete setup including liverock. I got about 60% of his water which wasn't the cleanist. I'm noticing that their looks to be some brown deitrus(spelling or brown crap) on top of the sand. I took a turkey baster and sprayed which caused more of this crap to come off the live rock and cloud up my water. My buddy thinks I should set up my penguin 400 for the first couple of weeks to get rid of this crap. Is this crap healthy and is it worth getting rid of. I have a 25 gallon sump underneath. My next question how does it work when ordering fish online. I work 3-11 so not sure when the delivery comes and how to acclimate. Or is it better to buy fish from local fish store?Sorry so long

KevyMv said:
My buddy thinks I should set up my penguin 400 for the first couple of weeks to get rid of this crap. Is this crap healthy and is it worth getting rid of. I have a 25 gallon sump underneath.
The Penguin with carbon and filter floss will help but it will need to be changed often. Blowing the rocks and such is a good practice as it will help the rock shed detritus improving organism/bacterial efficiencey. Could also be diatoms from an impure water source more commonly tap or spring water. The best suggestion is look at the overall water flow and adding a skimmer if there's not one already. With optimum or improved water flow, it helps keep detritus/organics in the water column longer and the equipment a better chance of removing it.

My next question how does it work when ordering fish online. I work 3-11 so not sure when the delivery comes and how to acclimate. Or is it better to buy fish from local fish store?Sorry so long
Not sure how to help with the time issue. Some onlines offer Saturday delivery so you might want to check into that. As for the acclimation read <<here>> and <<here>>. My personal preference is buying from the LFS. I get to see the health and size of the fish before I get it.

Back
Top Bottom