2 tangs of different genus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyfever

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
are there 2 different kinds of tangs that can be put together in a coral reef aquarium? i am getting conflicting info.

Depends on the size of the tank most of all.

Assuming you're at least 125g, you'd be OK with 2 in there. I've had 3 in a 155g with no problem - prolly 'cause they were from 3 different genus (is that the right word??). I did the Purple, naso, and a bristletooth. Tangs don't normally like those that have the same body shape/look like them. I was lucky to have two tanks set up (neither of which where the 155g) with the tangs already haven gone thru QT. That way all 3 were added at the same time so no one could claim it as their home already and be the bully.

Gonna have to give some thought about the size of your tank, which tangs are going in there and the order and size of each as they go in.

Tell us which you are thinking about and we can prolly give you better advice. Oh yeah - -what sized tank we talkin' anyway? Could be a mute point.

well i'm at 90 gallons and like the powder brown tang, but I was hoping I could do a blue hippo too. this is my only salt water set up at the moment, besides my 39 gallon qt that is almost done

Should be ok relationship wise, powder browns can be fragile though. 90 may be too tight in the end, but sufficient when small.

Wow. You've chosen 2 of the more fragile tangs IMO. Ick magnets as they've been called. I'd leave the powder brown out of the equation - 'cause of the size of the tank (too small) and the sensitivity of the powder brown.

What's the intended stocking? All the fish, not just tang choices.

If you do two tangs I would think yellow and yellow eyed kole tang. Any other tangs I would consider a 6 ft tank. 125+. JMO

IME body characteristics nor conspecifics are reliable methods in housing surgeonfish or tangs; Territorial disputes always occur regardless. In reference to "Powder Brown Tangs," there are two species that are often mistaken: Acanthurus japonicus is rather hardy in comparison to Acanthurus nigricans. Depending on the actual dimensions of your tank and wanting to house more than a single tang/surgeonfish, I would choose from the following: Ctenochaetus strigosus, Acanthurus japonicus, and Zebrasoma sp.

i had thought about doing a coral reef, but I am on the fence. I may just do fowlr and do coral in my 39 gallon.
clown(not sure which one)
green spotted mandarin
bi color blenny
2 tangs
flame angel
wrasse
3 chromis

As far as the clown post a pic of him on the ID forum and we will ID him for you.

oh, i meant i hadn't decided on what kind yet.....black and white, yellow stripe maroon, or any other that is not the ocellaris since my friend has those. we thought it would be nice to have different types.

Back
Top Bottom