2 weeks and done with cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have just gotten into this hobby and I love it. I am in the process of cycling my 75g FOWLR. I used about 60lbs of base rock and 20lbs of live rock. I used the shrimp method as some on this site have suggested. My delima is as follows:

I set everything up on 1/24 including putting 1 shrimp. I tested the water every other day or so and everything seemed to be going smoothly. I tested the water last night and I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite (NO2). Could this have happened so fast? What's next? Should I add another Shrimp? Or could it be true. Am I really ready to add my first fish?

:n00b:

you get the Live Rock cured already? sometimes that might speed up the process too... Did you add just 1 shrimp? Cause usually ppl use 1 shrimp per 30gallon or so.

The guy at the Store did say that some of the rock I purchase was from some of there established tanks. Also I did just use 1 shrimp. Should I add two more?

HI there,

I don't know if you need to do the cycle again, but if you read this article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

it says 1 shrimp for 30gal and 3 for like 120 gal and you're in between.

I hope some experts here can chime in soon and help you solve the issue, but getting cured rock really help faster the cycle like mine. It only lasts for like 2 weeks or less I believe, so please be patient, someone will chime in and help you, sorry I can't help you further as I'm also a newbie.

hey..What's up Fellow LI'er!

What LFS did you get the rock from if I may ask?

My Tanks Cycled in about 3 weeks.. I started getting Zero readings just before the 3 week mark and I had 50lbs of LR.

Maybe you could add some Flake Food to the tank to see if your Ammonia spikes. If it stays at Zero, I'd say your Bacteria is able to handle the load now.

When you were testing for ammonia and nitrites, did you see them go up? Did you ever see any measurable quantity of either?

If so, and they're now zero (assuming you haven't done any water changes) then yes, your cycle is done. If you use cured rock, which it sounds like some was, the cycle can be really short.

I bought the Live rock at Fish Town USA, thanks for the suggestion Goisles1. I have been doing test all along and there was a significant ammonia spike followed by an even bigger spike in the nitrite. So It looks like I might be done with the cycle.

I will try to had the flake food and test the water. If all goes well, what is the next step before adding fish? Water change? if so how much? (20%, 30%, ???)

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom