2 weeks and my cycle is through?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a 10 gallon salt water tank 2 weeks ago. I made the mistake of throwing a few damsels in right away. Well actually me and a buddy did some swapping. I had 4 altogether at different times for a week. The last two died so the tank is empty.

I had a hair over .25 ammonia two days ago and no nitrite. Today I added another 2.5lbs of rock bringing the total to 5lbs. And 20lbs of LS.

Well the ammonia is gone and I still have no nitrite. Think its ok to add one fish now?

Any chance you missed the nitrite spike? My 32 gallon hex cycled in just a couple of weeks too. What are your nitrates? That would be the indication that nitrites have spiked and fallen off. Nitrates would be elevated because the bacteria has consumed the nitrites...

??

I agree with mjvincent, if you missed the nitrite spike you will have fish loss. usually you see the ammonia spike and drop and then nitrite spike. These can last for weeks, but sometimes days. I would be hesitant to add fish for a week or so.

Not trying to start arguments, but a 10g tank is a hard tank to take care of any way. things go bad too fast. I usually never recommend anything less than a 29 gallon.

good luck

No ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate right now. I triple checked the nitrates thinking that wasn't right but it came up negative each time.

Back
Top Bottom