Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
2 weeks and still kicking :)

My remaining Green Chromis has made it to the 2 week mark
This weekend I am going to the LFS and getting an additional 20# of LR
Which will give me 35# in a 29 gal tank
I am going to make the Chromis go a full month before introducing any other tankmates (I want a clown, Daughter wants to see Nemo )

Is this moving to fast?
Is 35#'s of LR enough to start out with in a 29 gal?

Since adding the Chromis all levels have been good
I am doing PWC every other week 10-15% per change
Feeding every 2 days... sometimes flakes and sometimes Brine (and an occasional scallop chunk for the hermits)
Things are progressing great... I have Pods!! The Chromis loves them.
The lone hitchhiker Feather duster is still kicking also.
I think I could have gone wrong in so many ways if I did not read this board hehehe

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks a Bunch!!

Prizm Prot skimmer
Penquin 250gph biowheel
1 Green Chromis
1 False perc
1 Royal Gramma
12 hermits (Various)
Raker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
From my understanding, there is no such thing as "too much" live rock...unless you have so much you can't see the fish! hehe!

Most people on this forum will give you a recommendation of 3/4 to 1-3/4 pounds of live rock per gallon of water, so 35/29 = 1-1/5 ppg...definitely within the recommended range.

The only thing to be careful of is to make absolutely sure that live rock you purchase is already cured...adding 20 pounds of live rock that has any amount of dieoff yet to occur could cause your fish some serious problems...

38 Gallon (Freshwater): 1 Green Swordtail, 3 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Blue Gourami, 4 Otocinclus, 7 Cherry Barbs.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com