2 yrs later back to where i started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
well had ym 55gal reef for 2 yrs and its been awesome but recently wanted to add a lil more rock so i bought two pieces bout 4 lbs each and put them in my qt for 2 weeks and they seemed good to go well after we put them in the main about 2 weeks later they started growing red algae and it was only on those two rocks not on ne of the others and we have not had algae problems for about a year and a half well neddless to say after attempts to remove manually and water changes it has overtaken the tank and we now have hair algae and looks like cyano but very deep red color kind of like a rust color. now when it did that as i first started i just let it take its course but what should i do now to speed up the process of getting rid of it cuz it makes me sick to look at my tank. and i think it might have killed my anemone of 18 months. : ( oh and test results show no nitrates, ites, or phosphates or ne thing so i dont understand. please help

Hi there I know how frustating it can gets. I too, used to fight cyano for months. But they all gone away after I start using distilled water and Phosguard from Seachem.

To get rid of the cyano in the first place I syphon the upper layer on the sand they do water change every week. Then I add in Phosguard from Seachem. Ever since the cyanos are gone.

Well I only have cyano on the sand bed but not the rock itself so not sure how you can remove them from the rock. May be scrub them off using a brush of some kind or even throw them away!!! I think even you scrub them thoroughly they will still be some of them in the crevices where the brush can't reach. Because I heard cyano do spread so better get rid of them once and for all just throw the whole rock out!!!

Hope that help.

The problem is either Nitrates or Phosphates. You might not detect them on your tests, because the algae are using them up that quickly......find the source of the problem...How often do you feed them....has there been a change in lighting? Maybe you should change your bulbs??

emorrison is correct about your test being "0". What kind of water do you use for WC's When were your bulbs last replaced.

our bulbs were replaced like a month ago and we use non chlorinated water from the windmill like at walmart parking lot or we use distilled water if we have enough of it

Back
Top Bottom