20+20=75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
On my desk i have 2, 20 gal reef tanks on my right and left . Both are healthy .The one on the right has a better growth rate . But there starting to get in the way . Im thinking of making a 75 gal tank with the content of the two 20s . Now should i put everything in the new tank at once (water to) or treat it like a brand new set up and cycle it . with the rock only thanks.

i would think that you would want to cycle the tank first. especially if you are using a dsb. for this you will want to get the dsb established and working before you transport the new inhabitants.

I would be concerned about differences in water conditions. Perhaps come up with a way to "share" the water between the two tanks before you combine them. A couple low volume pumps perhaps. Or a joint refuge that they both dump into and both are replensihed out of.

just my two cents.

If you use the same sand you might experence a small ammonia spike as you disturb the two sand beds and basicly oxygenate the lower levels of the bed that had been low on oxygen before. Using the rock from the two tanks and the sand will cause any cycle to be breif.

When I start a new tank I usuually use the same stuff from my old tank or at a very minimum I use the same rock with a new sand substrate.

Back
Top Bottom