20 gal clownfish setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gal long tank and I want to keep two clownfish, Do I really need a protein skimmer and R/O ?

I want the fish to be happy and colorful so I'm gonna add a anemone that is easy to take care, since I'm new to saltwater I don't know any that will be a good choice for the clownfish.

Eheim 2215 good enough?

You don't need a skimmer. I would use a filter such as an Aqua Clear 50 or Aqua Clear 70 on your tank. It's good to use R/O to avoid nuisance algae growth. If you use tap water your tank will most likely look not so pretty. A weekly 3 gallon water change will take care of removing nitrates from your tank. Wait at least 4 (some people would say 6-12) months before adding an Anemone. Bubble tip anemone is one of the easiest anemones to care for.

You don't need a skimmer. I would use a filter such as an Aqua Clear 50 or Aqua Clear 70 on your tank. It's good to use R/O to avoid nuisance algae growth. If you use tap water your tank will most likely look not so pretty. A weekly 3 gallon water change will take care of removing nitrates from your tank. Wait at least 4 (some people would say 6-12) months before adding an Anemone. Bubble tip anemone is one of the easiest anemones to care for.

Ok kool, I will follow a weekly schedule for maintenance will that help me control the algae buildup? With out a R/O and with out R/O will the fish look colorless as some fish store has the clownfish looks really nice and some store the color on the clownfish are a little off.

Is algae bad for the tank?, what I'm worried is the PH I don't know if I do a weekly water change If the PH is gonna drop or go up, as I know the PH is important.

I don't know where the RO connects to, is it under the sink? Or somewhere on the tank?
If Ido get a RO unit Will that change the PH, is the aqua dolphin RO good enough? I think I will get one.

If you want a nem you will need strong lighting as well. However clowns definitely don't need one. You will need live or base rock as well.

IMO you don't need a skimmer. Frequent PWC`s will accomplish the same thing in a small tank like that. I would still do RO or RO/DI if possible. I work for a water municipality and I know the stuff that goes in there. Good for us humans but bad for our reefs and not as bad for our fish. I have an article about it in our SW articles section. Also an anemone needs to go in a mature tank of at least a year old IMO and IME.

If you want a nem you will need strong lighting as well. However clowns definitely don't need one. You will need live or base rock as well.

Ok so let's say I setup the tank and have the clownfish with out a nem will it be a problem? Because I want to shop for the right light later on I will get it.

Back
Top Bottom