Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

20 gal long stocking ideas

So i picked up a free 20 gallon long tank and have it set up and running. while its cycling i thought id get some ideas for stocking it.It will be a FOWLR and live sand. I have gotten the 20 gal is it was free and im on a tight budget. This is my first saltwater tank but ive been reading up on AA for a few months trying to get all the info i can. I also have freshwater tanks so im not completely a newbie to aquariums. If anyone has any ideas for stocking i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Check out the nano fish section of liveaquaria.com. That will help you out greatly.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you i will be sure to do that. also how much live sand and live rock would be good to put in? i was thinking 30lbs of sand and around 15lbs or rock
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had about 30 lbs of sand in my 20L and it gave me a nice 2" sand bed which is what I wanted since I was going to get a goby/pistol shrimp pair. I would go up on the amount of rock to at least 20 lbs. I think the normal rule is 1 lb or rock per gallon.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have 25 lbs of black sand in my 20 long and i have a pistol shrimp goby pair and 3 sand sifting snails that bury themselves. At first i loved it, but now i wish i got more. The way the sand is now with all the creatures moving it, is not level. At the far left and far right is the lowest, maybe an inch or more. In the middle its like 5+ inches high because the stupid pistol shrimp keeps building mountains in front of his burrow. I cant get him to stop so i gave him.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool, i appreciate the input. im gonna have about 32lbs of sand cuz the sand i like comes in 16lb bags, and earlier today i found out that the office manager where i work told me his little brother works at prob the best lfs in my area. hoping to get a good deal on live rock

Tags
20 gallon, ideas, long, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com