Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

20 gal question

Do 20 Gallon tanks come 'reef ready' or predrilled with over flow holes? just curious.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
steve-s

Not sure I've ever seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I think a possible option would be Juwel Aquariums but I'm unsure if they are available in North America.

Another option is tanking the tank to a reputable glass shop and having them drill the tank for you. Just be sure it is not drilled on the bottom pane as they are almost always tempered glass and will shatter when drilled.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have never seen a drilled tank less than 55 gal
Old 07-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to swiftwing7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Not sure I've ever seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I think a possible option would be Juwel Aquariums but I'm unsure if they are available in North America.

Another option is tanking the tank to a reputable glass shop and having them drill the tank for you. Just be sure it is not drilled on the bottom pane as they are almost always tempered glass and will shatter when drilled.

Cheers
Steve
way off topic but neat anyways. at my local glass blowing shop the guy there took hot liquid glass and dropped it into a cmntainer of water thus making it super tempered becasue it went back to room temperature quickly and didn't have time to slowly cool. super tempered glass is hard to break but when you do it exploads. he wrapped the little glass blob in a towel and broke a tiny little hair sized strand of it at the end. the whole thing exploaded and sounded like a gun going off. all that was left was glass sand in the rag.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:05 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have several old 20 longs that are drilled in the bottom. I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that many tanks under 55gal did not have tempered glass...even on the bottom. I'm pretty sure you'd be OK having it drilled in the back though.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alot of tanks with tempered bottoms actually have the word "Tempered" etched into the bottom pane. But just because it doesn't say it doesn't mean it isn't.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

All of the tanks that I have seen have a tag stuck between the glass and the plastic frame that says tempered.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
mine too. all but the 10 gal i got.

Tags
20 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com