20 gal saltwater setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine came really quick too. Make sure you ask for the adaptor you want, garden hose or sink faucet. Or you'll get a plumbed in attachment I believe.

I use the hose adaptor myself. :)

Woot!! Picking up the 55 tomorrow!
Carey, besides clowns, and a purple firefish goby, what would you suggest? After cycling, stocking will be slow, and I would line corals eventually, but not right away.

You could get a royal gramma maybe, or some chromis. You could also go with reef safe wrasses...Lots of choices with a 55g. :)

Oooooh, loving those chromis...
Looks like they are schoolers? How many for them to be happy?
Also...wil the caribbean blue and greens school together?

I'm not sure about mixing them, I plan on adding the blue reef chromis, about 4. That seems to be a good base number for a school.

Poking around on google it looks like they can, but often won't school together, depends on their tank mates from what I have seen. I like the green more. So it looks like my fish stocking will be the two black clowns, 3-4 chromis and a goby. Will figure out reefs and inverts later I think ;)

That's a boatload of fish for a 20g! LOL I only have 4 fish in my 29g. :)

What kind of goby were you looking at? Some can get quite big.

I'd say at least 55lbs of sand and 75 lbs of rock would be a good start. Rock is supposed to be 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon.

It depends on how deep you want it. Some fish like to move a lot of sand. So you need to add as much as you like or as much as it take so your fish doesn't get to the bottom.

I will only have burrowing inverts eventually, 2" should do it

Also: where should I get egg crate for the rock?

Egg crates not really necessary, I mean it def is an added bonus but not necessary. Guess you should start pounding down some eggs lol

huma-huma said:
Egg crates not really necessary, I mean it def is an added bonus but not necessary. Guess you should start pounding down some eggs lol

Do you just our your rock right on the glass? Or on a thin layer of sand?
I would just be worried about a burrower getting stuck ;)

A good coat of paint and some vinegar scrubbing and this tank will be as good as new!

I personally lay them on a thin layer of sand, but a lot of people advise against that due to rock-shifting. I don't think its smart to lay rock directly on the glass....not good in my eyes. The tanks were designed and built to hold A LOT of weight, that's why I don't use egg crates

Back
Top Bottom