20 gal saltwater setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put my sand in first, but I burrow my rocks down to the glass level for stability. I also keep checking the structure as I build on the base, I figure long as it's sturdy it should be safe from burrowers. :)

72 gallon bow front tht has never been used including stand, and built in overflow with plumbing but no sump for $270, good deal?

Also, for my refugium setup, if I'm correct, I need an oveerflow that can handle 550 gph, and a return pump of 1100 gph for a standard 55 Fallon aquarium?
Right?

Oh that's someone elses expertise....I don't know exact numbers and the such, I do know the return pump needs to be rated higher due to headloss

I have a 1200gph overflow and a 1596gph return pump and I find I have to throttle back quite a bit via the ball valve I installed inline. I think you'd have too much pump for a 550 overflow....it can be throttled back as I did though if you buy the valve.

Yeah it is lol. I'm gonna get a less powerful one at some point so I don't have to throttle so much back. I also have the 2 koralia 1400's running too.

I think I got flow down HAHA

Yeah the overflow should be rated higher than your pump, that your pump cant overfill your tank and the overflow will only be able to pull as much as the pump puts in

I'd aim for the pump a bit more than the overlow, you'll need to account for head height which makes the pump not actually pump as much stated since it has to go a distance.

I'm so not an expert on this stuff, I just did my first sump recently. :)

Also, for my refugium setup, if I'm correct, I need an oveerflow that can handle 550 gph, and a return pump of 1100 gph for a standard 55 Fallon aquarium?
Right?

i will go with the idea...u are right to calculate the headloss...if u are afraid it was more than enough,u can do a 'tee' return back to sump with a check valve for it...this could be help....

halfmoon, you most def need a return pump thats rated higher than your overflow. the reason for this is, just like Carey mentioned, you have headloss, the higher up a return pump has to pump the water, the lower the rating due to the weight of more water pushing back on the pump. there is a specific calculation for headloss..i however dont have it. but id think that a 700-800gph return pump should be around 500-550gph after a 4 ft lift..

Back
Top Bottom