20 gal saltwater setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have consolidated all of my freshwater tanks into a larger 40 gal breeder, so I now have a spare 20 gal, and a few others (hospital tanks is my plan)
how plausible is it to have a 20 gallon saltwater set up for only two clownfish?
Is it even worth seting up a sump/refugium on a tank that size, or would diligent water/tank maintenance be better?
TIA!

Its def worth it, even for 2 clownfish. With a 20g diligent pwc's and testing will control the parameters, but a sump/refugium will make life easier and also stabilize things. If you have the tank, I'd do a sump/refugium

I do have a spare 10 gallon, but that would be DIY and I have little knowledge/understanding of a refugium. This would be my first venture into the salty world...

Refugiums are cake work, I have 2-10 gallon rubbermaids setup for my 125, you'd prob be best splitting the 10g in 75/25 and using the bigger chamber for your filtration and then smaller chamber for return pump

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't bother with a sump on a 20g. I'm also of the quicker and easier way to do things. LOL

A really good hob filter and weekly water changes should keep your water in check.

You'll also have to decide if you want corals as the lighting can blow a budget real quick. :)

I also don't think you need a skimmer, again, pwc's done each week will export the nutrients out.

I wasn't planning on water changes. I change water EVERY Sunday, if not Thursday as well. Considering I have almost no knowledge of Simpson at this time, a good HOB and a powerhead for current should work right?
Live rock only for now, might upgrade to lights and corals later on....
It's a 24" tank so I could feasibly get a zoomed fixture for maybe 70$, which would put me at 4-6 wpg, but I am limited in my coral knowledge too.
I would be tearing down, cleaning, setting up and and the cycling the 20 gal before I even added the fish, so I have month to research and learn. A LOT.

Hey he could do what I did on my fw 20l, I put a rena smartfilter 55 on it, a bit biggewr than needed? Yes, do I have to do weekly water changes? Nope:)

Hey he could do what I did on my fw 20l, I put a rena smartfilter 55 on it, a bit biggewr than needed? Yes, do I have to do weekly water changes? Nope:)

Youre not serious right? I have a fluval fx5 on my 125 but I still have to do weekly water changes. Thats the only way to get the excess nutrients out, unless maybe if you a heavily planted tank.....

That is pretty much exactly what I was looking at! Get OUT of my head Carey!!
I know I won't be able to house and anemone in that tank. But if all goes will in time, I might upgrade to a fairly large sw dt.
Just depends on bulb setup, 3 white 1 blue should be more than enough for corals if I am not mistaken...

LOL. See, nice and simple. ;-)

I had an anenome under a 4 bulb system and it did quite well. I did return it cause my tank 29g, was too small for it and I always worried it would eat my fish. LOL

I knew starting out that 20 gal was too small for something like that ;)
So for now, just some live rock and some clowns. I may even wait on the refugium until I see if I want to upgrade to a much larger tank :p

Oh lord... 3 articles about getting a new tank setup and my head is already buzzing and my brains is full...
:eek:

I meant I have a smartfilter 55 on my 20g fw tank... Haven't had issues yet. (Knock on wood)
On my 125 I have an emperor 400, 100lbs of lr and a 30g refuge . Holding stable

Oh lord... 3 articles about getting a new tank setup and my head is already buzzing and my brains is full...
:eek:

This site will do that to ya, when I first joined, I spent hours upon hours sifting through this site, for days. Ultimately endin with a throbbing head and sore eyes :( just take it one step at a time it'll work out great

Have you looked at the aquaclears? i think that one you linked might not be enough for your 20g.

I would personally go with 1 size bigger. If there's one rated for 30-60 gallons, only because it'll make life a bit easier

Back
Top Bottom