Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

20 gal update with a few questions and a pic

First of all here it is:

We washed the sand until we could wash it no more....Probably a half hour or more on each bag.As you can see the tank is still cloudy.
To be expected I assume???How long will it need to settle?
It looked so bad we did'nt add the salt yet in case the water was going to have to be tossed (didn't want to waste the salt).

I've used pool filter sand in my FW tanks and I washed it as well,but I got better results with intial clarity.

This tank is going to FO...just some decorations and few small fish.I see that different SGs are recommended for different situations (FO,FOWLR ect)...are target PHs different as well?What is the target SG for a FO tank?

Lastly I know the sand we used it to help keep the PH up in the tank...and that water for changes must be mixed at least a day before the water change occurs.Does the salt drive the PH up in the water change water?Is it artifically driven up?Or is there an effort made to match PHs at all?

Thanks as always,

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
To be expected I assume???How long will it need to settle?
It looked so bad we did'nt add the salt yet in case the water was going to have to be tossed (didn't want to waste the salt).
Yep, totally. It'll dissapate in a few days time. And just as a heads up, it's much easier to add in already mixed saltwater to a new tank. Now you are going ot have to stir up your sand again to get the salt to dissolve. You can't simply add in salt and let it dissolve. It takes flow to happen correctly. If I were you, I'd either empty the water out and add in premixed saltwater or add the salt in now and not wait until your sand settles. Make sure you have alot of flow going on in there too.
Quote:
This tank is going to FO...just some decorations and few small fish.I see that different SGs are recommended for different situations (FO,FOWLR ect)...are target PHs different as well?What is the target SG for a FO tank?
Are you adding liverock or no? As far as SG you want between 1.023 and 1.025. Your target pH will be whatever your sand buffers it to. Usually 8.0-8.3 depending on the brand.

Quote:
Lastly I know the sand we used it to help keep the PH up in the tank...and that water for changes must be mixed at least a day before the water change occurs.Does the salt drive the PH up in the water change water?Is it artifically driven up?Or is there an effort made to match PHs at all?
No effort to change pH. It will be what your salt buffers it to. You are correct about everything here.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got it.

Thanks for the reply DT.

90g SW FOWLR
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Devilish is right, I just wanted to add, your pH will depend on gas exchange and your salt brand.
What kind of lighting are you planning on using?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just the standard light that came with the tank.One NO bulb...15w I believe.

90g SW FOWLR
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
just some decorations
Make sure these don't have holes in the bottom, where water can get in and stagnate.

Quote:
Just the standard light that came with the tank
So it sounds like a canopy. If this is the case, you might have low pH. I would say cut out all the cutouts on tha canopy and that might hepl your pH. If that makes sense.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com