20 gal update with a few questions and a pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First of all here it is:
plantsin500014tt.jpg

We washed the sand until we could wash it no more....Probably a half hour or more on each bag.As you can see the tank is still cloudy.
To be expected I assume???How long will it need to settle?
It looked so bad we did'nt add the salt yet in case the water was going to have to be tossed (didn't want to waste the salt).

I've used pool filter sand in my FW tanks and I washed it as well,but I got better results with intial clarity.

This tank is going to FO...just some decorations and few small fish.I see that different SGs are recommended for different situations (FO,FOWLR ect)...are target PHs different as well?What is the target SG for a FO tank?

Lastly I know the sand we used it to help keep the PH up in the tank...and that water for changes must be mixed at least a day before the water change occurs.Does the salt drive the PH up in the water change water?Is it artifically driven up?Or is there an effort made to match PHs at all?

Thanks as always,

To be expected I assume???How long will it need to settle?
It looked so bad we did'nt add the salt yet in case the water was going to have to be tossed (didn't want to waste the salt).

Yep, totally. It'll dissapate in a few days time. And just as a heads up, it's much easier to add in already mixed saltwater to a new tank. Now you are going ot have to stir up your sand again to get the salt to dissolve. You can't simply add in salt and let it dissolve. It takes flow to happen correctly. If I were you, I'd either empty the water out and add in premixed saltwater or add the salt in now and not wait until your sand settles. Make sure you have alot of flow going on in there too.
This tank is going to FO...just some decorations and few small fish.I see that different SGs are recommended for different situations (FO,FOWLR ect)...are target PHs different as well?What is the target SG for a FO tank?

Are you adding liverock or no? As far as SG you want between 1.023 and 1.025. Your target pH will be whatever your sand buffers it to. Usually 8.0-8.3 depending on the brand.

Lastly I know the sand we used it to help keep the PH up in the tank...and that water for changes must be mixed at least a day before the water change occurs.Does the salt drive the PH up in the water change water?Is it artifically driven up?Or is there an effort made to match PHs at all?

No effort to change pH. It will be what your salt buffers it to. You are correct about everything here.

Devilish is right, I just wanted to add, your pH will depend on gas exchange and your salt brand.
What kind of lighting are you planning on using?

Just the standard light that came with the tank.One NO bulb...15w I believe.

just some decorations

Make sure these don't have holes in the bottom, where water can get in and stagnate.

Just the standard light that came with the tank

So it sounds like a canopy. If this is the case, you might have low pH. I would say cut out all the cutouts on tha canopy and that might hepl your pH. If that makes sense.....

Back
Top Bottom