Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard that pipe fish are a good into to pygmies- just passing on what I've been told.

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Yeah I agree. Just tossing out what would be preferred by the an individual. It's hard to find a bright colored angler that eats frozen food. Getting one that eats live food would certainly be time consuming and expensive, but I might want to go that route. Seahorses would be a challenge and my concern is the sand keeping too much debris (wish it was bare bottom) and their sensitivity. I saw a small pipefish at my LFS which has been there for a few weeks so it's eating something. Still on the fence though.
Speaking from experience it is not that hard to get the anglers on frozen or fresh seafood. Out of the 2 months I have had mine I only had to resort to live food for one week. The trick imo is an invisible feeding stick and heads of silverslides.

Feed your Filtration
Give it to Porc Chop he'll eat anything!!!!!
"This is my tank and these other fish just live in it"
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
Haven't been on the forum for a while, so sorry for the late update. It's been 2 weeks and the mandarin is still alive. Doing okay, but I think it might be slowly starving since I don't see it eat much. When I put a towel over the front of the tank it comes out to eat more often.

Finally hung up the LED fixture. It's a lot more blue than I thought, but it really brings out coral colors. Anyone have good white supplement lighting suggestions?

I feed nutramar or freeze dried cyclops feed every day. Water has been getting cloudy. The water quality diminishes rapidly from the excess food. I'm thinking more water changes and/or nassarius snails?

Going to LFS on Sunday so still a possibility of getting an angler. I've been quite interested in a pair of tank raised H. Reidi. Other choices would be H. Kuda or H. Erectus. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1755272243.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	152315  

“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, gallon, reef, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com