Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

20 Gallon Build

Hey Everyone,

I have made the first step into new waters. My old 20 gallon freshwater I have decided to make my first saltwater tank (would have gone bigger if I had the room and tank). So far from what I've been doing my research (still a learner to salt) I have made a few moves. I have a few questions before I continue. These questions may be basic but I like to get some knowledge somewhere.

The Tank as been up and running for a little over a week now.

I have started the tank with about 25 pounds of Aragonite sand. Also I purchased about 19 pounds of live rock. Which leads to my first question I plan on buying more live rock this week and was wondering if by buying more live rock will affect the cycling process? Such as create any spikes in water parameters? I know I need a pound per gallon.

I currently have a 20 gallon hang filter running and a powerhead that provides more than enough current in the tank. So far I have tested this week for Ammonia and Nitrites which are dropping.

I do plan on the future of corals but not anytime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on starter corals?
Also for when the moment comes for the Clean up Crew what would you recommend getting, such as types of sails and crabs?

I will try to keep this thread updated with the progress.

Thanks for the advice!

20 Gal Saltwater
Andy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following along!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you will experience mini cycles when you add liverock obviosuly the move time the rocks out of water the more die off and obviously that will lead to a higher ammonia which will be the mini cycle. the easiest corals to start with will be leathers or mushrooms although to be honest I have fowlr set up. clean up crew is your personal preference a lot of people will tell you you need a clean up crew of so many whatevers per gallon but this is a ploy to sell by fish shops. as long as you don't overfeed your fish you don't need a clean up crew as the jobs they do are to eat left over food and to eat anything that dies in your tank so say if you had a dead clown fish they will eat it and it wont rot but obviously in a 20 gallon you will spot any dead fish to remove anyway and hopefully the issue wouldn't arise for a long time. I would recommend not to mix hermits and snails though if you do get anything as they will eat each other I would also say shrimps are more interesting than both. just remember you cuc will add to you bioload. I would also reconsider the hang on filter especially in a reef as they tend to build nitrates up if you do not constantly maintain them and with weekly water changes or a skimmer you would be much better off.

dont worry about asking basic questions I was myself not so long back its only from reading up on here I got the knowledge of everything I have now
What fish are you planning on? how much live rock are you intending on putting in there? you shouldnt need too much more than the 19 pounds hopefully as long as you dont overstock the tank
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

"I do plan on the future of corals but not anytime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on starter corals?"

Start with mushrooms and zoas. Both can be pretty, interesting, and darn near indestructible.

"Also for when the moment comes for the Clean up Crew what would you recommend getting, such as types of sails and crabs? "

I'd go with reefcleaners.org. The quick crews there are a cheap and easy way to get a good cuc. BUT do not go with the recommended tank size. I usually go about half the size of my tank as they give way too many snails. Also wait a bit to add a cuc. The tank needs to mature so there is food for them.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also following along! Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Well yesterday I bought about 6 more pounds of live rock. I will not be going more than this for live rock. Thanks for the info on adding it to the tank, I'm in no hurry so I'm going to let the tank go through it's cycle.

Mushrooms and Zoas sound great! I did some more research on them and going to continue reading up. A a little worried about the Zoas giving off toxin but I do love many of them.

CUC wise, I plan on some snails and I do like the idea of a cleaner shrimp in the tank. I have read that they can measured as a small fish in the tank due to the bio load they have. Any inputs on this? Such as is this true, and should I take this into consideration on the fish I would like to get?

As for fish: I would like a ocellaris clownfish, from what I have seen they are pretty easy little guys. And good starter fish. Also possibly a type of small goby. I'm still looking around for fish seeing what will be compatible. I like doing my research Wish school was the same way.

If anyone has ideas for fish that will do well in a 20 gallon please feel free to give suggestions! I'm dying to know what can go in there and possible ideas!
20 Gal Saltwater
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

So today I went to look at a older aquarium store that is new to me in town (found them online) and I was going to look and see if they sold empty hermit crab shells. When I got there the guys were cool and had a lot of good stuff for saltwater tanks. I asked the guy for shells and he tells me they sell about 15 or so for a dollar. As he bags them up he shows me around the corals and they had a bunch of stuff pretty cheap. He hands me the bag and says it's on the house. When I get home and wash them off I put them in the tank and wouldn't you know it there's a Crab inside one!!! Talk about a nice hitchhiker!

I didn't drip the shells... didn't seem a need to. Do you think he will live and be okay?

I've checked the tank and I have: Ammonia 0; Nitrites 0; Nitrates ~5

I have no idea what type of hermit it is but looks like a blue leg hermit from what I've been able to see.
20 Gal Saltwater
Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a good score he should be fine.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Sounds like a good score he should be fine.
Thanks! Seems like he's doing well, already all over the live rock and cleaning. He has cleaned a bunch of stuff off one of the rocks and I've notice a lot of green and orange stuff on the rock. My guess is it's coraline?
20 Gal Saltwater
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy91 View Post

Thanks! Seems like he's doing well, already all over the live rock and cleaning. He has cleaned a bunch of stuff off one of the rocks and I've notice a lot of green and orange stuff on the rock. My guess is it's coraline?
Very nice score! Lucky you have a good store in town! I'm still on the hunt for a rly good store within a half hr....looks more like I'm going to need to make a bit longer of a drive as the one I did find a half hr away is only so/so. The owner tried telling me to get a Cow fish for a 29g because it wouldn't live to its Max growth expectancy anyways....ummm.....?
He does have beautiful live rock and fish though....good thing I know how to do my own research! Lol

Tags
20 gallon, build, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com