20 gallon cycle w/ fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its been setting for a month now and my father says its time to get fish so I guess i put the question wrong but how many fish should i start out with?

The rule of thumb is typically one fish per 10 gallons. So you would need approx. 2 fish.

The rule of thumb is typically one fish per 10 gallons. So you would need approx. 2 fish.

I think you meant 1" of fish per 5g of water. I'm not familiar with the 1 fish per 10 gallons rule.

Have you tested your water parameters? If you have can you post those numbers for us. I understand the want to get some fish in a tank you've had running for a while but you want to make sure that you do it correctly and don't endanger your new fish. Are you wanting to just have fish in the tank or are you planning on doing a mini reef?

A 20g tank can be a challenge so you will need to keep on top of your water changes. I would suggest going to liveaquaria.com and have a look at their "nano" fish section. All the fish they have listed there will do very well in a 20g tank.

I think you meant 1" of fish per 5g of water. I'm not familiar with the 1 fish per 10 gallons rule..

919 meant a rule of thumb for cycling with fish - not for stocking. Kind of like the "1 cocktail shrimp per 30-40 gallons rule" for fishless cycling... but much more humane!

919 meant a rule of thumb for cycling with fish - not for stocking. Kind of like the "1 cocktail shrimp per 30-40 gallons rule" for fishless cycling... but much more humane!

Oh, ok. I did not know that. I learned the fishless cycle method and never paid much attention to cycling with fish. Thanks for the correction.

I agree that I`ve never heard that rule because I learned to cycle the humane way. The fishless cycle

Back
Top Bottom