Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon filter options

We have a 20 gallon saltwater that has been running for a little over a year now. We haven't had any real problems, just a suicidal clown that decided to jump out of the tank. We're moving into a new apartment and we will have this tank in our living room. We will be adding live rock in december and hope to create a mini reef. We are currently using a AquaClear 300 as our filter. I've been looking at some other filter methods. A sump looks like it would be fantastic, I could keep the heater in the sump and add a protien skimmer as well. I was looking at different options including drilling the tank for a bulkhead as well as an overflow. Does anyone have any experiences with "mini-sumps"?

jhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

LittlePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
No. Mini-sump. He wrote it there.

Anyways, you will probably be successful with minisumps if you'd like. You don't even need to drill anything probably if you'd rather have a HOB trickle system.

It would probably be a good idea to go the sump way instead of HOB filters or canisters if you are planning a mini-reef. I've seen successful 20G reef tanks in this forum and they are awesome.

Refugiums are a little too much work for you for a little 20G although I've seen HOB refugiums in the market with trickle systems within the kit. Most definitely you could have a great time practicing on a 20G mini reef with a mini-sump. It's also very movable in case you move from apartment to apartment a lot.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you have any links for the HOB systems?
jhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com