20 gallon long NANO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kydsexy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, thanks in advance to everyone who responds. Im a longtime researcher of saltwater and this is my 2nd time setting one up as Ive been in college the past few years. Onto my question. I just setup my nano a few weeks ago, 3-4 and my nitrates are a little high. I have 18 lbs of LR, 25 lbs of normal marine sand, 50/50 Coralife Power compact $90 if that helps, 30 inches and a sponge filter for bio filtration just for cycling purposes. My ammonia is 0, nitrites VERY low, almost untracable, and nitrates around 10 ppm.

Ive noticed that there is a brown algae starting to grow on the back of the tank but my sponges and xenia are doing just fine. should i add in a fish so my bacteria dont start dying off? is it my light creating this. ive done one water change so far. help please.

thanks

oh yeah, the emperor 400 will also be used, just not included right now. any suggestions on improving my tank. any and all help appreciated

I agree, but it sounds like you are at or near the end of the cycle. Once you are not seeing any nitrItes, do a decent sized PWC to reduce the nitrAtes.
The brown algae sounds like a diatom bloom, perfectly natural in a cycling tank. Ack, I just reread, you might want to think of doing a PWC to remove the nitrItes. This could prolong the cycle a little longer. I also agree, do not and anymore critters to your tank.

BTW, welcome to AA!!

Back
Top Bottom