20 gallon long reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylover101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently decide to start a reef tank , I was going to go with a biocube 14 but I want to keep sps in the future .

List :

1-20 gallon long tank -$35
2-Aqueon Quietflow 30 -$30
3-Reef Master test kit -$25 ps already have (saltwater master test kit)
4-Bio Spira -$10
5-15 lbs of florida reef dry rock -$40
6-20 lbs caribsea caribbean liwe sand -$25
7-30'' compact flourescent fixture with 2 50/50 65w bulbs total of :130w
8-Coralife Digital Thermometer -$7
9-Tetra 50w heater -$10

Now i have 2 questions

1-Are my lights to strong since my tank is only 12'' tall ?

2-Are 2 sunsun jvp 101 800 gph wavemake okay for my tank ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 100
And these are the wavemakers i will have 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 92
If you want to keep sps, compact bulbs won't cut it. For a 20 gallon you could look into par38 bulbs or some of the higher powered led units.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay my lfs has montis in a 14 gal biocube no mods pc lighting , and thats not what I asked 2 questions wich are listed above im not planning on adding anything with higher light needs than a monnti cap

The power heads are probably fine.

As for the lighting being to strong? No, I think it is weak and won't support the light requirements of sps. Even in a shallow tank I would want to ensure enough intensity from my lighting so I wasn't wasting my money on coral dying.
You could go t5ho route, but led or par38 is much cheaper way to go.

No need to snap at people trying to help. The first sentence of your post says you want sps, and Hank was telling you that those lights most likely won't support sps (agree with him btw). To answer your questions 1. No 2. Yes

Im very sorry SnaperHank , and BigRedsReefs10 will i have overheating issues with those lights over my tank

Keeping montis alive and growing is quite different than growing acros and other much more light needy sps corals. Ime montis are pretty tolerant. 2 cfls will definitely not be enough for acros.

Edit: power compacts not cfl, also just reread and see you only want a cap. My advice once you go one sps you want more. I'd get better lighting

Okay thank you SniperHank and im very sorry and also would it be fine to just add 15 more lbs of dry rock and go with 30 gallon tank the lights will still fit and i would probably not be able to keep sps but i can keep euphilyas wich for me would be okay and i can also keep more fish

But another thing is that im worried about my filter the aquean quietflow 30 if i get the 40 for the 30 gal would that be ok

Yeah that'd be fine in terms of the rock, for a filter I'd look for something more in the 60-80 gallon range. I personally love the aquaclears for this, dependable, easy to clean, lots of room for media, and lots of aftermarket mods available should you want

Okay so just an aquaclear 60 15 more lbs of live rock and a 30 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom