20 gallon long sea horse tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I never did abuild thread on this system as i had no plans to build this system...First let me tell you how it started...Every year hear in Florida on the gulf coast we have scallop season..One day a freind of mine called me and toldme he had a five gallon bucket for me of scallops to meet him at the boat ramp and come get them .So I get my bucket of scallops and drive the 30 mins back to my house..after cleaning nearly the entire bucket there was a big ball of macro algae in the bottom ,after carefully looking at it there was a sea horse and star fish traped within, I thought surely they were both dead ,but to my surprise they were not . After realizing a drive to the ocean at this point was not possible I desided to give them a fighting chance.. I set up a 20 long I had ,grabed some rock from my sump on my reef tank and and filled up the tank tank had no cycle at all ,I used two small hob filters and a compact pc light... I thought they both would die due to what they been through but wanted to try to give them a chance...well four months later and two of them he would not eat he's doing great ..He only eats live ghost shrimp and brine so its twice a week to lfs for food which I don't mind...just thought I would share the story btw I run the tank bb because he eats a lot and is kinda messy. There is very minimal flow because sea horses like calm waters ...

Wow, great story and scape. Belive it or not, in the wild, some sea horses thrive in high current places and are actually more active.

That's a great story, I'm glad it worked out for those two. Have you considered adding some macro algae to the tank, it will help keep nutrients down and provide the horse a nice natural habitat.

I did I got a bunch of chualpa in there ..I think I miss spelled that..

Haha, if you could get your seahorse eating a chalupa I would be impressed.

That's funny but then I'd have no excuse to go to the lfs twice a week....BTW any one know why they change colors?

Back
Top Bottom