20 gallon long setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have decided that I have so much fun with my reef tank at work, I am going to setup a 20g long here at the house. Just thought I would solicit opinions from you guys on plans.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

I'll be purchasing ~25lbs of LR from liverocks.com. I'll probably also go ahead and get 10lbs of LS as well. Should help get things going a little faster.

Since I will not be setting up a DSB like I did in my 40g, nitrates were a concern at first. That is until I found this: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16635&highlight=aquaclear+baffle
Way too cool! I really didn't want to mess with drilling the tank or buying another HOB overflow so this should fit the bill. I can also put a small 50w heater and carbon media in if need be.

For lighting, I think I am going to go with a 30" 2x65w PC Coralife Aqualight. I should be able to keep just about anything in the tank under this light. Heat may possibly be a problem, however, the house is typically kept pretty cool. Won't know until I get it setup. The only thing bad about this unit is that it comes with two 50/50 bulbs. Would much rather have one 10,000k and one 03 but that is how it goes. I'll be buying the mounting legs for it to raise it up a tad as it will be used right over an open tank. No glass top.

I won't be putting a protein skimmer on this tank as of yet. The good ones (i.e. Bak Pak, Aqua C, etc...) are just too big and bulky. The word on nano-reef.com is that Aqua C is coming out with a nano version of the Remora in August. I am very interested to see how this is going to be designed so I'll hold off on a protein skimmer until then. In the mean time, of those of you who have nano's, what kind of skimmer are you running?

In tank circulation will be provided via two Maxijet 600 (160 GPH) pumps. With the outflow of the AquaClear 500 (which will be turned down to around 100-200 GPH output) and these PH's, the tank turnover rate with be fairly high. Around 25x or so. This may need some tweaking or I may have to use less powerful PHs.

Well that is about it for now. Just thought I would throw this out here and see what you guys thought.

In the mean time, of those of you who have nano's, what kind of skimmer are you running?

Started with the bak pak 2R and switched to the remora ;) The pump can be hidden by LR and I don't use a skimmer box for it.

Back
Top Bottom