20 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zbatey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am building a sump out of a 20 gallon long sump and was thinking of doing two six inch baffles one would be lifted for a bubble trap and then after my refugium I would have another 6 inch baffle and another lifted as a bubble trap. I want to know if this would work or if my second set of baffles would have to be shorter. Also how far apart should the two sheets be in order to make a good bubble trap

Depending on what you are using in your fuge, you may want to double or triple the baffles after the fuge, as some of the macroalgae types will easily escape through a single baffle and start spreading in other areas, especially if you don't have something in the tank that feeds on them.

First and second set of baffles can both be the same size, and I usually try to get the baffles 1/2" apart or so, so that you can clean in between them. Too close and they will grow full of algae and your sump will back up.

becareful how close you have your baffles,i would have them an inch apart,if they are too close and you are using a strong flow this flow can drag bubbles through the baffles,if your having a slow flow sump then 1/2" will be fine.It all depends on flow rate

Back
Top Bottom