Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

200 gallon! set up advise welcome

Hello everyone. I am thinking of starting a 200 gallon tank!! And wanted to get any info I could on setting one up and maintaining it before I started. Anyone with experience with large tanks? Any tips youd like to share would be most appreciated. Maybe you did somthing one way then wished you had done it differently? Any problems you may have ran into and how you overcame them. What did you do for lighting and heating? I am planning on a reef tank. How much live rock/sand?

As you can see any advise or comments are welcome here. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Talking to a guy about a 150 gallon tank (couldnt find any 200gals in my area).comes with heaters lights stand and alot of fine sand. He wants 400 for it. Hopefully pick that up this weekend!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm in the same boat I just picked up a 210

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The one thing I regretted not doing with my first big tank, a 125g was to have it drilled. I have since upgraded most of my tanks and every single one is now drilled. Def makes life ALOT easier.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

I'm running two overflows 1.5 drains and 1 in returns my only down fall is not making my wet dry bigger

Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to Camescu
As a SW noob, what difference does the drilling make? And why is it easier?

These are he sorts of things I will need to understand, once I talk the mrs into getting SW.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

A drilled tank looks better as you dont have all the stuff hanging off the back of the tank.
HOB overflows can fail causing floods. A drilled tank or (Reef ready) tank will have a higher resale value.

Big tank time!! Where will you place it? it's gonna weigh about 1200-1500 lbs.

Live rock or dry rock? LR will cost about $8-12 per lb dry $1.99-5.00 lb.
I use dry pukani from BRS 75lbs will be enough for a 150 add 2-5lbs of good live rock to seed the dry rock.
Substrate, most sand gives about one inch per pound So about 150lbs will give you a 1-1.5 in. sand-bed
Lights Here's the biggie buy the best you can the first time This goes for every thing dont skimp! or you'll be buying more later.
LED's are the way to go IMHO. the Tao Tronics will grow any coral you want.

Heaters and skimmers I run two 1k watt heaters in my system (235 gl.) Get a skimmer rated for 2x your system volume (total of tank and sump)
And the most important item in a reef system a good RODI system. Plan on spending $ 5-15 per gallon for a full blown reef system.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

Drilling a tank scared the hell out of me until I drilled my first drain hole. So much easier to plumb tank read a few threads here about the different ways of getting water into sump it dawned on me very quickly drill baby drill. Good luck would love to build a large reef!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

I already order three 165w LEDs off eBay for the time being my buddy who builds reef for a living said they do fine until I have the extra cash I'm going with 3/4 live rock per gal and 3/4 dry per gal as for my sand I think crushed coral is the way to go we'll see I haven't talk to the wholeseller yet I'm looking for my protein skimmer now I'm only running a 40 gal wet dry I want to get the reef octopus that's rated for 500gal

Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

As far as the RO system that comes later I'm going to have my buddy do the services for a while while I learnt he ropes I've never had anything this big

Working on it as we speak just got the tank level going to start hanging my canopy now any advice on how far I should hang the canopy from the tank

Tags
advise, gallon, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com