Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramichelle
I'm currently running a 20 gal tall, coral only. I was wondering how u would position the 2 power heads? Are u looking for one at each end forming a whirlpool effect? Or one pointing up for air mix and the other for circular flow? ( mine r like this now)
Here's the tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2887214728.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	78293

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Sounds good.

When you start to change out the gravel you can do 1/4 of the tank every water change. You don't want to switch it all out at once, just do it in sections.
I am glad you said that! because I was really going to just swap it ! I thought I would put my guys in the bucket (or hospital tank), drain the water out in a big bottle (I have couple of 10 gal bottles from water delivery service) and replace the gravel with sand. It makes much more sense to do it with water changes.

I installed one 425 air pump this morning (second will have to wait till i have more $), and fish seem to like it

Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh View Post
Look into the reef octopus bh-1000 hand on back Skimmer. Its nice and quiet and the pump isn't in the tank like most other hob Skimmers. I just got it for my 29 and its super quiet! Or like Carey said just do once a week changes. As for power heads I have 2 koralia 550's and kind of wish I went a little bigger but they are great power heads I would recommend them to anyone
I like quiet! Main reason I didn't have protein skimmer in the first place is that the one I tried (SeaClone 100) was super loud. My fish tank is next to the couch an I literally could not hear the sound on TV when installed it. I think I will go with water changes for now since I need to invest in lights, live rock and power heads. But will definitely look into getting it in a few month. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoja

I like quiet! Main reason I didn't have protein skimmer in the first place is that the one I tried (SeaClone 100) was super loud. My fish tank is next to the couch an I literally could not hear the sound on TV when installed it. I think I will go with water changes for now since I need to invest in lights, live rock and power heads. But will definitely look into getting it in a few month. Thanks!
No problem. My tank is right next to my couch also and I just installed my new lights yesterday and holy crap! I went from a 17w t8 to a 346w fixture with 4 t5s and 1 250w mh. I would suggest the fixture I got to anyone. It is the odyssea 30" advance plus fixture. Awesome! Just needed to swap the bulbs out for ati's oh and the fixture without new bulbs is $179 with new bulbs about 260
Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

How cool, I should look into into getting that light fixture - price is very decent!

Meanwhile, I changed gravel for the sand. I tried doing it gradually with water changes, but it clouded the tank so much I got worried for the fish. So I moved everyone out, drained the water and cleaned out all gravel. Now my tank has 40 pounds of sand - half live and half regular. Looks pretty cloudy... But my guys are happily hanging out in the "hotel"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1198736906.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	79703   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3109151972.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	79704  

Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah its a great fixture! Only thing I really say you have to do is get a clip on fan to blow between the fixture and the glass top. If you don't the water heats up 1 degree per hour on a 29 gal tank. Other than that its fantastic. Glad to hear you got the gravel all switched out. The clouding will go down soon. Then back in with the fish

Tags
20 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com