20g reef set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently maintain a 90g FOWLER at work that is getting along fine.
I'm considering a reef system for my home.
I'd like to go with a 20g long. I'm not looking to develop the system of the year or anything, just some nano corals and a couple fish.
Any suggestions on filtration?
Should I drill the tank?
I'm really interested in setting up kick butt filtration!!

On a twenty gallon tank I would do a HOB overflow. What kind of filtration are you thinking about?

What kind of filtration are you thinking about?
I'm exactly sure what would be most appropriate. But, being a smaller volume tank, and a reef system, I'm thinking of some kind of sump or something to expand the water volume as much as possible.

I would do a PVC DIY overflow on one side of the tank and return it on the other to make a raceway design. Otherwise the PVC overflows can be kind of hard to conceal.

With that size tank you may be able to get away without a sump/skimmer and a low fish load with just a few power heads.

Have you looked at the overflow kits from glass-holes.com ? Their overflow boxes are fairly narrow and wouldn't take up much room in a 20L.

You say some kind of sump or something, but what size are we talking about? 10g? 15g? Another 20L? And a skimmer, return pump, heater, baffles are all gonna fit down there? On second thought, it might be easier (and simpler) to do without one.

How about a AquaClear 110 as a HOB sump/fuge? We have a 29g at work with an AC 110 on it, PCs over top, softies, one or two LPS, LR + snails + hermits, a moderate fish load, and things are thriving.

Back
Top Bottom