20g reef tank HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your AC 110 is plenty enough filtration for a 20 gallon tank that is the only filtration you need
Edit they beat me to it, but you get the point

i dont no what your trying to say do u have a 20g reef tank?

I had no filters on my 20g, I just had live rock to act as a filter, which I'm assuming you are going to have live rock since you want a reef, and this will act as your filter. You can completely do away with the aquaclear filter if you wanted to.

so all i need is the live rock inside the tank and nothing else lol? and some powerheads?

Equipment-wise, yes, a heater, a few powerheads, your lights, and your live rock are really all you should need in there. A few other things will be needed such as a thermometer and some other doo-dads you may pick up. The simpler the setup is, the better.

you have done that before? so just run whats in my aquaclear 110?

Yes, I ran my tank for the first few months this way and it was perfectly fine. Just run what's in your aquaclear, but you can get rid of the carbon if you want as it is not needed.

I have a 20 gallon tall reef tank. I started it out coincidentally using an aquaclear 110, and later built myself a sump(8 gallons).
The aquaclear will do fine in a either tall or long 20 gal.
I used chemipure elite, purigen(seachem) and some floss media , and my water used to be sparkling. I dont think any filter makes the water as clear as the aquaclear... However, as saltwater buds know, there is a need for a sump, sooner or later, so I built myself one inside my cabinet. I stopped using the aquaclear because I got a clamp on 150w metal halide(clamps on the tank's back glass) so I could not use it with filter because they bouth use the same glass as support. I have around 20 pieces of corals, amongst sps, lps, anemones. I can say that duoc 9119 said it right in regards to the light. If you want the perfect light for the high tank, the metal halide is the choice. It might be a couple of buck more, but on the long run, you will spend less on your corals, which will not die because of light insufficiency...If you are going to start a reef, start the right way...The tall tanks, especially reefs are the nicest ones in my opinion....good luck!

who thinks a ac 110 is to much power for a brackish 20g tank? what do u think the best bed i should get so theres not to much tornado effect

I have a 20 gallon tall reef tank. I started it out coincidentally using an aquaclear 110, and later built myself a sump(8 gallons).
The aquaclear will do fine in a either tall or long 20 gal.
I used chemipure elite, purigen(seachem) and some floss media , and my water used to be sparkling. I dont think any filter makes the water as clear as the aquaclear... However, as saltwater buds know, there is a need for a sump, sooner or later, so I built myself one inside my cabinet. I stopped using the aquaclear because I got a clamp on 150w metal halide(clamps on the tank's back glass) so I could not use it with filter because they bouth use the same glass as support. I have around 20 pieces of corals, amongst sps, lps, anemones. I can say that duoc 9119 said it right in regards to the light. If you want the perfect light for the high tank, the metal halide is the choice. It might be a couple of buck more, but on the long run, you will spend less on your corals, which will not die because of light insufficiency...If you are going to start a reef, start the right way...The tall tanks, especially reefs are the nicest ones in my opinion....good luck!

hey i was looking at this thread at came across your post, i have a 20g tall saltwater tank with 20pounds of live rock, filter, thermometer, hydrometer, heater. i want to start a reef tank now and could you tell me what else i need ?

and what light would you suggest so that i can have as many corals- and could you post a link of a light that i can get online? preferably a light from a online store in canada

and if i buy a light do i need a cover for the tank like a plastic cover so fish dont jump out or would it be fine without it?

thanks for the help

I think you would be much happier in the long run with a refractometer than the hydrometer. I would say get a few powerheads or an MP10 for extra flow. For light a metal halide would work great, possibly a 150watt. I have moved on to LEDs and I would say they are great. The same capabilities of a metal halide without the heat, energy, and replacement bulbs. I would highly recommend Boostled Par30s. For a 20 gallon tall I would say you will need 3-4 bulbs with 40 degree optics. If you want to but a top I would get cut glass (especially if you are going with metal halide), plastic will warp on you.

I think you would be much happier in the long run with a refractometer than the hydrometer. I would say get a few powerheads or an MP10 for extra flow. For light a metal halide would work great, possibly a 150watt. I have moved on to LEDs and I would say they are great. The same capabilities of a metal halide without the heat, energy, and replacement bulbs. I would highly recommend Boostled Par30s. For a 20 gallon tall I would say you will need 3-4 bulbs with 40 degree optics. If you want to but a top I would get cut glass (especially if you are going with metal halide), plastic will warp on you.

would it be better if i get LED lighting? and what kind should i get

LEDs are worth it in every aspect IMO. Less energy consumption and no bulbs to replace. I would recommend going to boostled.com and get 3-4 of their Par30's with 40 degree optics. Depending on what color temp you want its all there. For the 20k look I'd say the 4 royal blue/ 1 cool white bulbs will give you that look, for the 14k look go with 3 royal blue/ 2 cool white. They also have more combination for the 14k look just look for the 3 blue/ 2 whites combo.

Back
Top Bottom