Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefcowboy View Post
I have a 20 gallon tall reef tank. I started it out coincidentally using an aquaclear 110, and later built myself a sump(8 gallons).
The aquaclear will do fine in a either tall or long 20 gal.
I used chemipure elite, purigen(seachem) and some floss media , and my water used to be sparkling. I dont think any filter makes the water as clear as the aquaclear... However, as saltwater buds know, there is a need for a sump, sooner or later, so I built myself one inside my cabinet. I stopped using the aquaclear because I got a clamp on 150w metal halide(clamps on the tank's back glass) so I could not use it with filter because they bouth use the same glass as support. I have around 20 pieces of corals, amongst sps, lps, anemones. I can say that duoc 9119 said it right in regards to the light. If you want the perfect light for the high tank, the metal halide is the choice. It might be a couple of buck more, but on the long run, you will spend less on your corals, which will not die because of light insufficiency...If you are going to start a reef, start the right way...The tall tanks, especially reefs are the nicest ones in my opinion....good luck!
hey i was looking at this thread at came across your post, i have a 20g tall saltwater tank with 20pounds of live rock, filter, thermometer, hydrometer, heater. i want to start a reef tank now and could you tell me what else i need ?

and what light would you suggest so that i can have as many corals- and could you post a link of a light that i can get online? preferably a light from a online store in canada

and if i buy a light do i need a cover for the tank like a plastic cover so fish dont jump out or would it be fine without it?

thanks for the help

Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you would be much happier in the long run with a refractometer than the hydrometer. I would say get a few powerheads or an MP10 for extra flow. For light a metal halide would work great, possibly a 150watt. I have moved on to LEDs and I would say they are great. The same capabilities of a metal halide without the heat, energy, and replacement bulbs. I would highly recommend Boostled Par30s. For a 20 gallon tall I would say you will need 3-4 bulbs with 40 degree optics. If you want to but a top I would get cut glass (especially if you are going with metal halide), plastic will warp on you.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by duoc9119 View Post
I think you would be much happier in the long run with a refractometer than the hydrometer. I would say get a few powerheads or an MP10 for extra flow. For light a metal halide would work great, possibly a 150watt. I have moved on to LEDs and I would say they are great. The same capabilities of a metal halide without the heat, energy, and replacement bulbs. I would highly recommend Boostled Par30s. For a 20 gallon tall I would say you will need 3-4 bulbs with 40 degree optics. If you want to but a top I would get cut glass (especially if you are going with metal halide), plastic will warp on you.
would it be better if i get LED lighting? and what kind should i get
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

LEDs are worth it in every aspect IMO. Less energy consumption and no bulbs to replace. I would recommend going to boostled.com and get 3-4 of their Par30's with 40 degree optics. Depending on what color temp you want its all there. For the 20k look I'd say the 4 royal blue/ 1 cool white bulbs will give you that look, for the 14k look go with 3 royal blue/ 2 cool white. They also have more combination for the 14k look just look for the 3 blue/ 2 whites combo.

Tags
20 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com