Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Oh yes, each bulb is 14 watt
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Yup your light wouldnt work i know saltwater is expensive, an if you want a whole new light fixture (which i reccomend because they come with bulbs that are very expensive) i think you should get this.

http://www.fishneedit.com/3ft4bulbs-with-l34.html

Its a great fixture, i own it. Very cheap and will grow almost all corals
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
What kind of fixture is it I have current brand t5 and with those you can change from fresh to salt or whatever
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Yup your light wouldnt work i know saltwater is expensive, an if you want a whole new light fixture (which i reccomend because they come with bulbs that are very expensive) i think you should get this.

http://www.fishneedit.com/3ft4bulbs-with-l34.html

Its a great fixture, i own it. Very cheap and will grow almost all corals
Ok, I can do this! Looking at about 34+ w per bulb I see! Ok, we've talked about lighting and filter. What's next? I plan on by saltwater that is already made from my lfs. Will my 20watt heater work?
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden
What kind of fixture is it I have current brand t5 and with those you can change from fresh to salt or whatever
I attached the link, but I see that it wouldn't work
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur

Ok, I can do this! Looking at about 34+ w per bulb I see! Ok, we've talked about lighting and filter. What's next? I plan on by saltwater that is already made from my lfs. Will my 20watt heater work?
Haha okay when i get home tomorrow and look at my tank i will look at all my stuff and tell it to you! I think i have a 40- 60 watt heater. Not sure, but if your heater worked in your freshwater tank then i dont see why it would be bad for your saltwter tank. It all depends in where you live. I am in southern california so the temp is consistantly warm, i dot have to worry about my heater. I your in alaska, get a strong heater to keep your temp stable
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Haha okay when i get home tomorrow and look at my tank i will look at all my stuff and tell it to you! I think i have a 40- 60 watt heater. Not sure, but if your heater worked in your freshwater tank then i dont see why it would be bad for your saltwter tank. It all depends in where you live. I am in southern california so the temp is consistantly warm, i dot have to worry about my heater. I your in alaska, get a strong heater to keep your temp stable
Good for you and me, I'm in las Vegas! thanks for your help!
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Haha ya im sure your heater would be good! Do you like that light? I think mine is a 36" for my 30 gallon.

Any other questions?
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Saltwater master test kit or if you already have an api liquid test kit all you need is high range ph
Hydrometer
salt
base rock
live rock
Probably a bunch more thats not coming to me
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Haha ya im sure your heater would be good! Do you like that light? I think mine is a 36" for my 30 gallon.

Any other questions?
I do like that light. Did you get your from that sight? My tank is 24"l so that would be the one I would look at. I am getting realy excited for this little setup. Especially going to the lfs and seeing the bright corals!
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.