20g saltwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello saltwater guru's. I currently have this planted 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have completely lost all interest in this build after having it for a year now. I will be rehoming the fish and plants this week. I want a new learning experience.

What I have. 20g 24" glass tank. Aquaclear 20. Heater. T5 twin light 24" w/ 10000k and a 6700k bulbs.

What I want. Nano reef style. 1-2 clowns, 1 goby, shrimp, coral.

I have been searching google and other threads but their is a lot of information and I want to here it from the experts. I know you shoulders have an anemone for a year much less a small tank, so I like the coral idea. This is for my sons bedroom, and for me to learn. Let's go about this as if I know nothing, for example, what the heck is a protein skimmer and do I need one. Ha thank you in advance.

Hello saltwater guru's. I currently have this planted 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have completely lost all interest in this build after having it for a year now. I will be rehoming the fish and plants this week. I want a new learning experience.

What I have. 20g 24" glass tank. Aquaclear 20. Heater. T5 twin light 24" w/ 10000k and a 6700k bulbs.

What I want. Nano reef style. 1-2 clowns, 1 goby, shrimp, coral.

I have been searching google and other threads but their is a lot of information and I want to here it from the experts. I know you shoulders have an anemone for a year much less a small tank, so I like the coral idea. This is for my sons bedroom, and for me to learn. Let's go about this as if I know nothing, for example, what the heck is a protein skimmer and do I need one. Ha thank you in advance.

Most nano keepers don't use protien skimmers because of how often you need to change the water.if you buy one you need to get one that's like rated double of your tank size adleast.

It was the last paragraph. He must have accidently deleted the QUOTE sign when he quoted your post.

So its the section about the skimmer and you not needing one

Gotcha. Thanks for the information. That was just and example of what I'm asking tho. I seriously don't know anything about salt water aquariums and want to have a conversation about everything. Is my stock idea ok. What equipment I need? Will my lighting be fine? Do I need better? Can I use my aquaclear 20?

Like I said, I have attempted to search out this info, but I have a lot of conflicting information. I am interested in knowing what I need to do past what I have to make this a reality! :)

Readingexcalibur said:
Gotcha. Thanks for the information. That was just and example of what I'm asking tho. I seriously don't know anything about salt water aquariums and want to have a conversation about everything. Is my stock idea ok. What equipment I need? Will my lighting be fine? Do I need better? Can I use my aquaclear 20?

Like I said, I have attempted to search out this info, but I have a lot of conflicting information. I am interested in knowing what I need to do past what I have to make this a reality! :)

Okay sounds good. For my 30 gallon i like to over filter, so i got an aquaclear 70. Your stock seems fine to me :) make sure you get ocellaris clownfish, they stay smaller and are better for nano tanks. What lights do you have? 4 bulb t5?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yup your light wouldnt work :( i know saltwater is expensive, an if you want a whole new light fixture (which i reccomend because they come with bulbs that are very expensive) i think you should get this.

http://www.fishneedit.com/3ft4bulbs-with-l34.html

Its a great fixture, i own it. Very cheap and will grow almost all corals :)

Ok, I can do this! Looking at about 34+ w per bulb I see! Ok, we've talked about lighting and filter. What's next? I plan on by saltwater that is already made from my lfs. Will my 20watt heater work?

Andrew McFadden said:
What kind of fixture is it I have current brand t5 and with those you can change from fresh to salt or whatever

I attached the link, but I see that it wouldn't work

Readingexcalibur said:
Ok, I can do this! Looking at about 34+ w per bulb I see! Ok, we've talked about lighting and filter. What's next? I plan on by saltwater that is already made from my lfs. Will my 20watt heater work?

Haha okay when i get home tomorrow and look at my tank i will look at all my stuff and tell it to you! I think i have a 40- 60 watt heater. Not sure, but if your heater worked in your freshwater tank then i dont see why it would be bad for your saltwter tank. It all depends in where you live. I am in southern california so the temp is consistantly warm, i dot have to worry about my heater. I your in alaska, get a strong heater to keep your temp stable :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha okay when i get home tomorrow and look at my tank i will look at all my stuff and tell it to you! I think i have a 40- 60 watt heater. Not sure, but if your heater worked in your freshwater tank then i dont see why it would be bad for your saltwter tank. It all depends in where you live. I am in southern california so the temp is consistantly warm, i dot have to worry about my heater. I your in alaska, get a strong heater to keep your temp stable :)

Good for you and me, I'm in las Vegas! thanks for your help!

Haha ya im sure your heater would be good! Do you like that light? I think mine is a 36" for my 30 gallon.

Any other questions? :D

Saltwater master test kit or if you already have an api liquid test kit all you need is high range ph
Hydrometer
salt
base rock
live rock
Probably a bunch more thats not coming to me

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya im sure your heater would be good! Do you like that light? I think mine is a 36" for my 30 gallon.

Any other questions? :D

I do like that light. Did you get your from that sight? My tank is 24"l so that would be the one I would look at. I am getting realy excited for this little setup. Especially going to the lfs and seeing the bright corals!

Back
Top Bottom