20K MH bulb instead of Atinic PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people like them. I personally prefer the mixed MH/Florcent look. MH also typically puts out more heat than CF or T5 lighting.

The 20k is a bluer color. It is not going to compensate for lack of actinic. You will not see the flourescing that you would as if you just had the actinics on (which is what some people do for morning and evening). The PC and T-5 will not have the intensity that MH does. You have to decide what it is you want to do and then pick the lighting that is the most appropriate.

You have to decide what it is you want to do and then pick the lighting that is the most appropriate

Thansk for the advise.

I am upgrading to a larger system and I want to be able to keep clams and sps corals. The dims of the new tank are 48x18x20, so I am definately looking for intensity.

I guess what I want is optimum health of the system and I wasn't sure if the 20K MH, while more intence, would provide the correct spectrum of "blue" light needed. Just seems like most people use MH/PC lighting and I wasn't sure why if you can run 20K MH's.

Thanks

John

Back
Top Bottom