Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20L Frag Tank

I went to a frag swap today and ended up winning this light at one of the raffles (24"-36")... Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System w/Timer: LED Aquarium Light Fixtures

I had a random Marineland 20L (30"x12"x12") tank that's never been used, so I decided to toss it together and make a frag tank. Before I get too far along in the process, will this light actually be able to support anything?

panathinaikos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Softies and not very deep down. My LFS uses one of these on their 'coral' tank. Have watched LPS slowly die off. Though that said, there have been softies in it and it appears that they have some acans in higher up that might be doing well as well.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Thanks for the info. They didn't get the best reviews anywhere online either, but I realize it isn't a very expensive fixture. Wasn't sure if anyone out there actually had any experience with it.

I'll get the tank going and maybe just turn it into a Paly & Zoa garden with some LR and a clownfish pair.

I've never run a marine tank this small before, does something of this size require a skimmer? Would something like this one work???

Old 02-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
I ended up purchasing the Rio Nano Skimmer from Amazon for $33. The reviews were mixed (actually pretty bad), but in case anyone is interested, here is what I see with it.

Out of the box I was having a difficult time getting it to produce any bubbles. I messed with it for an hour or so before giving up and letting it complete it's break in period. Worst case, I figured it could be used as an inexpensive HOB filter.

After a day and a half, I have been able to get it to produce a great amount of skimmate by doing the following:

1. Removing the filter pad that came with the skimmer. In place of the pad, I am using floss (polyfill). I filled that section of the skimmer with a pretty good amount of floss. I did this to keep the bubbles it was producing in the center chamber to keep them from getting back into the tank, as well as help restrict the water flow even more.

Additionally, I have the water level control inverted (upside down), in the extreme upright position, and 75% of the way down to help restrict water flow even further.

The key with this skimmer is restricting the water flow and forcing the bubbles to remain in the center section to be forced up the tube and into the collection cup. If you restrict water flow too much they get forced into the far right chamber. you don't want this to happen because they will flow back out of the skimmer and fill the tank with micro bubbles.

2. I am not using the air tube, but instead kept the blue air control valve in place and opened only slightly.

3. After priming, I have the flow control valve turned a quarter turn to help restrict the amount of water being sucked in.

It's not as loud as the reviews make it seem. It's about as loud as a normal HOB filter.

Once you get it up and running initially, let it run until the next day before you attempt to set it up. It really was night and day after it was broken in, so give it some time.

Attached is a pic of it in action.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rio Nano Skimmer.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	265837  

frag, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com