220 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please share where you have placed your tanks displayed n why?

I have mine in the kitchen ;( cause was told possibly since it's so heavy if I placed it anywhere else it would cave into my basement..This is the only place that right below it .. There is a beam.... I live on the second floor of house w over ground basement..

I hope that people take into consideration when doing large tanks to add extra support to the floor if possible or at least run the tank so it is running across floor joist and not parallel to them. Sorry that is my lumber side of me coming out there. Lol

if your basement isn't finished its not a hard thing to do to build a 2x6 wall bellow the aquarium and double up on the floor joists. 2x6 walls at 8 feet tall if i remember correctly are rated for around 6000lbs.

also its a good idea to put it across the joists and where tehre is a beam, but rememeber that beam is also carryign the load of the house above it, but still the best place to put it if you haven't built a structure for it.

Gti_Leo said:
if your basement isn't finished its not a hard thing to do to build a 2x6 wall bellow the aquarium and double up on the floor joists. 2x6 walls at 8 feet tall if i remember correctly are rated for around 6000lbs.

also its a good idea to put it across the joists and where tehre is a beam, but rememeber that beam is also carryign the load of the house above it, but still the best place to put it if you haven't built a structure for it.

It is finished grr..

even still its not toally hard to do but i'm sure it'll do fine where it is considerign how people keep water beds where ever they want and they hold close to the same ammont of water

Gti_Leo said:
even still its not toally hard to do but i'm sure it'll do fine where it is considerign how people keep water beds where ever they want and they hold close to the same ammont of water

Good point

The waterbeds distribute the weight over a much bigger surface area. Kinda like a bed of nails, if you stand on one nail it will go right through your foot. Lay on a bed of em, an not a scratch. Put your tank against a wall with it perpendicular to as many beams as possible. Even better would be in the basement if possible.

On exterior walls the floor joints r supported by ur concrete foundation I think u r doing a 220 gallon tank water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon so that's 1835 lbs the average refrigerator weighs about 300 lbs. So if u feel safe setting six refrigerators against the wall in ur living room then u should b ok ;-) . Not sure of age of house if u have floor trusses instead of joists they will usually support a significantly higher load. But the tank should be run across the joists not with the joists in either case.

Sent from my HTC EVO SHIFT using Aquarium

Trusty_one said:
On exterior walls the floor joints r supported by ur concrete foundation I think u r doing a 220 gallon tank water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon so that's 1835 lbs the average refrigerator weighs about 300 lbs. So if u feel safe setting six refrigerators against the wall in ur living room then u should b ok ;-)

I thought someone told me I'm looking at close to 6000 pounds all together with live rock .. But u do have a point there.. I'm getting a contracture in here to review to make sure :()

Idk about 6000 lbs u have displacement. I have a 33 gallon tank with 40 lbs of substrate and 32 lbs of LR I only put in 20 gallons of water so that's 238.8 lbs about and 33 gallons of water would b 275.22 so I am sure the calculations are not completely correct obviously rock and substrate r heavier otherwise they wouldn't sink but w/e calculating the water volume of ur entire system should suffice in coming to an approximate weight LxWxD equals cubic feet 7.48 gallons per sq ft 8.34 lbs per gallon do the figure for a sump or w/e filtration system the weigh of pumps an skimmers and what not u should b able to come up with an approximate number.

U also have to account for the weight of the glass or acrylic but I am sure ur not hiring a forklift to delivery ur tank although I am sure its heavy. Also it will be sitting on a frame probably steel. But I only see maybe 2500 lbs and when they tell u the tank gallon size they pad it a little a 120 tank is actually 119.68 filled to the brim who fills their tank to the brim.

Back
Top Bottom