24 hours into setting up Saltwater, advice please??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tough cookie said:
the tank is doing wonderful.. I have had a damsel in it for the past week and it is doing great. the ammonia levels is great, and so is hydrometer level. The live sand is turning a dark brown on top for some reason though I don't quite get, I guess it just does that. but everything is great.. :lol:

That's happening to me too! I was told that it is diatoms... Supposedly it will pass.

Yap it will pass maybe after 2 weeks. Mine did, but i bought nassarius snails though maybe they helped.

It will pass take it as a sign that things are goin well and before you know it you'll be putting fish in there :)

No disagreeing that damsels can get aggressive but not all of them do, my 2 domino damsels can have their days but for the most part, they are quite friendly. there's an engineer goby, maroon and yellow clown, and scooter blenny that the dominos don't ever touch.

Well I am working up to getting sea horses and different star fish, they are in no way aggresive and very slow eaters so I'll have to let the damsel go, they will never get food if I kept the damsel. Just sea horses cost so much I want to make sure everything is going to work perfect before I purchase them. I had a snail , a large one don't remember what it was called got it same day I got the damsel. It seemed to have died right away within a few hours. so I'm afriad to try any snails. It acted like it couldn't move in the sand. was it just cause it was dying or can they not get around good in the sand?? :confused:

Yeah I'm pretty sure seabhorses need to be by themselves, inverts can prob coinhabit, but that's prob it. I want a jellyfish tank

Tough_Cookie, could you please use the default font settings please?

Some types of snails can't upright themselves if they fall on the back of their shells, astrea snails do this I believe. The damsel would be too aggressive for anything really once it ages.

well I thought they put the font settings here for people to change things up once in awhile, gheesh I didn't know it would bother anyone. and what is drip acclimate?

Drip acclimating is a method people use to acclimate new members to their tank...it involves using an air hose to drip tank water into a bucket while the new invert/fish is in there

oh no I haven't added any other fish to the tank yet. As for the snail no I didn't acclimate to him. Maybe I should have, I figured he would have been a little tougher then that lol but I am learning as I go ,, and thank you for the information on it.

Back
Top Bottom