Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tough cookie
Question 24 hours into setting up Saltwater, advice please??

I just turned my 55 gal into a saltwater tank. I have took the chlorine out of water like I always did for freshwater,, then began to mix in my salt, then dropped in two sack full of aragonite live reef sand (suppose to have lots of good stuff in it) and my water is SO white cloudy and sort of foamy at the top, not as foamy as was at 11 last night lol. I also have a regular heater in with water temps rising good. besides that I have not put nothing else in the tank yet (to afraid to) I only have two live rocks waiting to be put in though. I don't know a whole lot about this, I have tried to learn by reading, but its just not the same as doing it. COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANY INFORMATION?? It all would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much salt have you put in? Have you calculated it so it'll be at 35ppm? Don't keep adding salt because it'll change from now to when the temperature hits 25oC. I'd wait til you have the correct temperature, salinity and the tank has cleared a bit before putting the live rock in the tank. Have you got some powerheads or something that will help with water flow across the live rock?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #3

I bought a bag of Instant Ocean for 50 gals. I added it slowly and mixed it right in the tank. after I put the chlorine out in the water itself. I can slowly see into the water now I just noticed when I turned on the light ha! not meaning to sound stupid but what is ppm stand for? No I don't have a power head yet for the tank. I just have 2 air hoses going into it and 2 double filter pumps.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #4

I also have a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira for starting up tanks. Prevents the New tank Syndrome but it doesn't say exactly when I should put it in. Says it has Live Nitrifying Bacteria. I was told that is very good and exactly what it needs. and could someone please explain the meaning of Cycling??
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's parts per million, 35ppm is perfect. Do you have a hydrometer? It'll either be 35ppm or a specific gravity of 1.025. How bigs the tank and how much did you put in?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Yeah I have a meter to test the water.. didn't know if I should test it yet or not. and I put the whole 15 lb bag in cause it said for 50 gals of water. so was a lot of salt lol but I'll check the water now see what it says.. and let u know.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #7

I just checked the water and it says it was 1.028 a little bit higher then recommended. so exactly what is that telling me then??
Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling

Basically when you have a source of waste it'll start ammonia and nitrite levels to rise in your tank, when the bacteria start to increase in the tank it breaks these down and makes nitrates. When this is done and there's no trace of ammonia and nitrites your tank is cycled. It'll take anywhere between 2 to 4 weeks but may tank longer. Add a dead prawn or something to the tank, this will serve as a source to start the cycle off.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is the tank temperature? I'd leave it for now, don't put your live rock in til you get the salt levels right. It might mean you have to take some water out and put some other in to try and lower it.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #10

the temp is only 80degree. and will the BIO spira work to help it cycle? since it has LIVE nitrifying bateria in it?

Tags
salt, saltwater, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com