24 hours into setting up Saltwater, advice please??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tough cookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just turned my 55 gal into a saltwater tank. I have took the chlorine out of water like I always did for freshwater,, then began to mix in my salt, then dropped in two sack full of aragonite live reef sand (suppose to have lots of good stuff in it) and my water is SO white cloudy and sort of foamy at the top, not as foamy as was at 11 last night lol. I also have a regular heater in with water temps rising good. besides that I have not put nothing else in the tank yet (to afraid to) I only have two live rocks waiting to be put in though. I don't know a whole lot about this, I have tried to learn by reading, but its just not the same as doing it. COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANY INFORMATION?? :confused:It all would be greatly appreciated :fish2:

How much salt have you put in? Have you calculated it so it'll be at 35ppm? Don't keep adding salt because it'll change from now to when the temperature hits 25oC. I'd wait til you have the correct temperature, salinity and the tank has cleared a bit before putting the live rock in the tank. Have you got some powerheads or something that will help with water flow across the live rock?

I bought a bag of Instant Ocean for 50 gals. I added it slowly and mixed it right in the tank. after I put the chlorine out in the water itself. I can slowly see into the water now I just noticed when I turned on the light ha! not meaning to sound stupid but what is ppm stand for? No I don't have a power head yet for the tank. I just have 2 air hoses going into it and 2 double filter pumps.

I also have a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira for starting up tanks. Prevents the New tank Syndrome but it doesn't say exactly when I should put it in. Says it has Live Nitrifying Bacteria. I was told that is very good and exactly what it needs. and could someone please explain the meaning of Cycling??

It's parts per million, 35ppm is perfect. Do you have a hydrometer? It'll either be 35ppm or a specific gravity of 1.025. How bigs the tank and how much did you put in?

Yeah I have a meter to test the water.. didn't know if I should test it yet or not. and I put the whole 15 lb bag in cause it said for 50 gals of water. so was a lot of salt lol but I'll check the water now see what it says.. and let u know.

I just checked the water and it says it was 1.028 a little bit higher then recommended. so exactly what is that telling me then??

Cycling

Basically when you have a source of waste it'll start ammonia and nitrite levels to rise in your tank, when the bacteria start to increase in the tank it breaks these down and makes nitrates. When this is done and there's no trace of ammonia and nitrites your tank is cycled. It'll take anywhere between 2 to 4 weeks but may tank longer. Add a dead prawn or something to the tank, this will serve as a source to start the cycle off.

What is the tank temperature? I'd leave it for now, don't put your live rock in til you get the salt levels right. It might mean you have to take some water out and put some other in to try and lower it.

the temp is only 80degree. and will the BIO spira work to help it cycle? since it has LIVE nitrifying bateria in it?

Well your tanks at the right temperature but I'd try to get it to like 78. Get the tank salinity right then add the live rock, the dead prawn then the bacteria. I've never used it before but it'll just boost the bacteria. Has all the salt dissolved? How long is it since you put the salt in?

so having this higher number means to much salt is added? In the bags of live sand I got also came these small packs called bio-magnet clarifier. do u know exactly what that does for your tank? cause it tells me not to put it in till all my decor. is put in

started mixing the salt last night with water as it was going into the tank around 10 pm. then as I couldn't see anymore salt in bottom of tank and well mixed I added the live sand .

I'd take out a bucket full of tank water and put your RO water back in, leave it 10 minutes to mix then recheck it. It should bring it down, keep doing it til you get to 1.025.

The clarifier is just meant to clear the water quicker, bear in mind that it'll clear by itself but if you want to clear it quicker do it BUT it's an unnecessary chemical to add in my opinion.
Get some pictures of your tank on here

ok I sure will posts pictures as soon as I figure out how ha! I'm just now learning this whole site. and I thank you so much for all your help!!!! I'm going to go do what u said and see what happens... I will repost later when i get the conclusions to this doing :)

Well thought I would let you know the tank is almost clean, just white lint looking particles floating around, sand is settled down, still can't get the hydrometer thing to read down low enough to put my live rocks in. I'm a bit scared to still try.. last check the reading was 1.027 so I don't know what else to do yet. the temp is 79 also. and have a air rock in (small one) but its putting some current in there. I am gonna get a powerhead to put a good current in , before I go getting my fish though. So how have I done so far? lol

Personally i wouldnt add an airstone or brick or whatever you call it, there are no bubbles on the reefs of the ocean, they may stress livestock and it looks cheap.

It'll settle don't worry, my tank took almost 3 days to clear so just relax lol keep changing the water til you get to 1.025. True Leighton I wouldn't put a airstone in, it doesn't need it and doesn't look natural. I'd definitely get a powerhead, they work really well if you place them and aim them correctly at the live rock. Your doing well but I'm still waiting for pictures haha ;)

Back
Top Bottom