240 or 300 for Reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would I do the sump? from the side of the tank? Should I do an overflow box or should I get it drilled?

Another question I have is about tempered and non tempered glass??? Do i need tempered?? I would rather pay extra for 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 inch and maybe the ultra clear glass too. Any input on this?

Tempered is usually only used on the bottoms, if you plan on drilling the bottom of the tank, then stay away from it, just get normal thicker glass. Starfire glass on the front and sides would be ideal.

I would go larger given the choice. It will give your fish more room and give you additional space to add corals over time. It's a little more in lighting, filtration and also stuff like using more salt on water changes, but probably worth it in the long run.

Your fish will be great in a 300 and you could easily add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am really looking at the 96x30x24 or the 96x30x30 now. I have the money for the extra equipment, bigger tank (96x36x24), and lighting etc. But I can tell you right now. It would be blocking a good 1/3rd of the entrance door. So I have decided to go with the 96x30x24 tank. It is about $600 less than the 96x30x30 tank just because of popularity I am assuming.

So as far as fish goes. I would love to have an angelfish!! I love the emperor angelfish. But I have always heard they like to take out crustaceans. I have seen successful reef tanks that contain multiple angelfish. But I believe they all had very large tanks. Would a 300 gallon tank do the trick?? Would the same apply for pufferfish? Picasso triggerfish?

Alson I know that having multiple, or even one, big fish in any tank will add to the bioload tremendously. Currently I do a 15% water change every other week and I feed the fish Nori in the morning. They snack on that throughout the day. At night I feed them some PE Mysis which I also wish out really well myself. I can afford to do a 10-15% water change on the 300 gallon once every other week. With a running refugium, skimmer, and UV sterilizer etc. Is that enough of a water change to support the boiled of a few big fish? As long as I don't overfeed**??

I just finished 3 Finals yesterday and I feel so much less stressed!!! Calculus final tomorrow and I can start planning and buying equipment.

ANOTHER QUESTION:::::

Would it be fine to build my own stand? I have some knowledge and I will also be taking carpentry lessons again.. I plan to follow someones tank stand build that they timelined on a website I found. He too had a 300 gallon tank. Would it be at all risky if you know what you are doing??

You can keep multiple Angelsfish, as long as they are from different genre. Not the same species.
Building your own stand is great. Mine is home made as well as my canopy.

Alson I know that having multiple, or even one, big fish in any tank will add to the bioload tremendously. Currently I do a 15% water change every other week and I feed the fish Nori in the morning. They snack on that throughout the day. At night I feed them some PE Mysis which I also wish out really well myself. I can afford to do a 10-15% water change on the 300 gallon once every other week. With a running refugium, skimmer, and UV sterilizer etc. Is that enough of a water change to support the boiled of a few big fish? As long as I don't overfeed**??

You can overfeed at will. Get a big enough skimmer. Use a good sized sump, adding macro algae, and possibly vodka dosing to keep your nitrates stable, where you want to keep them. And no, Im not kidding about vodka dosing, I've been doing it for a couple years now.

The 24" tall is easier to work with too unless you have really long arms. My 240g is 24, but taller with the hood. I can't come close to reaching the bottom.

Multiple Angels can work, but them being reef safe is questionable. I've seen and heard of it going both ways, so you just have to be okay living with that potential issue. I've heard adding Angels at the same time helps too, so go that way if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom