240 or 300 for Reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefBoy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so I decided to break down and buy the upgrade to my current 120 reef tank.
The choices are the 240 gallon (72x24x30) ***LxWxH***
and the other choice 300 gallon (96x24x30)

I have 2 spots for the tank depending on which tank I get.

If I get the 240 gallon it will go in the same spot where the 120 is right now in picture 1. I will probably invest the extra money into starphire glass.

If get the 300 gallon it will be a room separate and I will do a little work to blend it with the walls in picture 2. I won't put the extra money into the starphire glass most likely if I go this route.

This is probably a stupid question because I feel like I know the answer to it:whistle:
Will the extra 2 feet of the 300 gallon tank be that much better?

As far as fish stocking I won't be adding many more fish when I get the new tank.
I am more interested in the corals. I love corals and I want to have more of a display tank. But I also want the fish to have a nice swimming area.

Current Tank Dimensions: 120 gallon (60x18x26)

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-20-15-09-32_13.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-20-15-09-32_13.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 113
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-04-17-13-59-03_18.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-04-17-13-59-03_18.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 123
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-20-15-09-34_53.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-20-15-09-34_53.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 97
I will be purchasing the tank 2 weeks later~~~ this next week is my last week and I have FINALS...... So I'm going to use this as my summer project to keep me occupied while I'm not working~~~

:)

Any other tank size suggestions are also welcome! I find that it's best to hear from people who have experienced certain tank dimensions. Thank you! :D

I currently have a 180g as my largest tank and if I had a choice I would probably go with the 300 only because of the extra length. Those extra feet could mean the world to tangs which are my favorite, not sure what you currently have tho. :)

Also consider if this is gonna be a full blown reef that you will have to get to the bottom of the tank, if it is too tall it will be a real pain in the butt to get to the sandbed. I have this issue with my 90 which is super cool but a pain to work on inside. I also happen to be like 5 foot 3 so if you are tall and have longer arms it might not be so much of an issue.

I'd go with the 300. The aquascaping for your Corals would be the bomb in that tank!

Sounds like the 300 haha. I guess my main concern is trying to match it up with the wall. there will be about 3-4 inches on each side between the walls and the ends of the tank. So I'm wondering if I can match it up and make it look nice and discrete. After all it is my parents house and I am 19 years old with very basic carpentry skills.

As far as matching it with the top of the white border in the picture. I will build a canopy that will fit flush with the ceiling up there.

Just like I said. Worried about the extra 3-4 inches that will be left open on both ends of the tank. It probably won't be that big of a problem. I guess I should just take the plunge and do it? Any input on starfire glass?

I currently have 2 yellow tangs, a blue tang, and a male blue chin trigger. Which is another reason that I'm looking into the upgrade.

Would they be fine in a 240? Would I still have a bit of room for a couple more smaller fish? I love the 180 size. I have for years now. But I would love the 30 inch height. I am 5'10 and I don't mind sticking my shoulder in everyday. For the love of the reef:)

Hey Zach,

just wanted to share that I am along for the ride! It sounds like a fun project over the summer. :)

Thanks redsea! I'll definitely keep everyone updated!! I'm going to break it to my parents after finals. :D

Haha, sounds like a plan. I just got my parents to re-okay another 125g (I had one in 2011-2012...long story :lol: ). So I am happy about that! I miss having a large tank. I have a 29g BioCube now and am enjoying it, but I miss have larger fish such a Tangs (Yellow Tang tank at the LFS....here I come once I get my 125g! :lol: ). Now I just need to make sure I have the funds necessary. I think I have some extra money in my bank account so that is a plus. And if push comes to shove I can always sell my iPad. That would be a bummer, but it would be worth it to have the tank for sure! :)

The bigger the better.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I have decided between getting the
310 96x30x24 LxWxH
or the
375 96x36x24 LxWxH

Like I mentioned earlier the tank will be a room separator and I would like to have plenty of swimming room for the fish but I am more interested in the Coral. I am also wanting this big display tank to grow my coral out. I will purchase a frag tank later, as i wish to make a little side income by selling frags when they grow to large.

Would the 375 (96x36x24) be that much harder to light than the 310 (96x30x24) ???

I am planning on purchasing another AI Hydra 52 and some Kessils to fill the spots in between the Hydras where light is needed.
I currently have the Hydra 52 and the Hydra 26. So I would be adding another 52 and adding the Kessil a360's in-between where needed.

::::::As far as flow goes::::::::

I have 1 Vortech mP40, 1 mP10, 1 Koralia 1400, and 1 Korali 1050.
I would probably sell the mP10 or put it in the sump below if needed?????????
And buy an mP60.

Any Suggestions on which tank size would be more practical?? Cost effective??

Whichever tank I buy
375=$1540 0r 310=$1398
I will be building my own custom stand over the summer. I am taking carpenter classes all summer and my dad has a bit of knowledge. So I can save about $1000+ by building my own. Not to mention I want to build it to sit flush with the wall as a room divider.
So let me know what you think! anyones opinions are welcome!! :)

This is the spot we are working with :)

Just a little reminder:thanks:

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-04-17-13-59-03_18.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-04-17-13-59-03_18.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 80
It will sit flush and look like a wall from the outside. I will make some inserts from the inside of the office so I can hide some of the equipment which I am trying to get all on the left or right ends of the tank (Vortech etc) It will be a hell of a project!!! But I am up for it!!

It won't be harder to light than the smaller width one, your not going to put putting rocks all over the tank, should be relatively straight forward. I'd go with the bigger tank still.

Ok well I did some measuring and it looks like the 30in will fit better. The 36in will stick into the office to much and partially blocks the entrance door on the right. Cant be seen in the picture~~~

Back
Top Bottom