240g. stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mchief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on purchasing a 240g (96"x24"x24"tall) tank next year after I move dwellings and in my excitement, I’ve started to plan things out. I’m thinking this will be a FOWLR tank based on the fish I wish to have. After I have met with the company building the tank (www.midwestcustomaquariums.com) I will solicit specific hardware suggestions.

So on to the fish, I’m looking for suggestions and advice, for example, spiny box + porc. + cowfish OK?, if not, substitute clown trigger for cowfish, is that ok? What about an angel in the mix, large angel and dwarf angels ok?

And yeah I know, I’d need something much bigger to have all of these but here’s my list in an approximate order of most desired to least.

Spiny Box Puffer
Porcupine Puffer
Longhorn Cowfish (what are the chances he'll kill everything?)
Clownfish Trigger
Queen, Emperor or Blueface Angel
Niger Trigger
Picasso Trigger
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty

(I would like the next two if they didn’t bring the plague)
Purple Tang
Blue Tang

Helmet Cowfish (will he kill everything too?)
Heniochus (3-5?)
Limbaughi Chromis (5-7) OR Blue Reef Chromis (5-7)
Bimaculatus Anthias
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
Flame Hawkfish
Six Line Wrasse
Yellowhead Jawfish
Fridmani Pseudochromis
Purple Pseudochromis
Lawnmower Blenny
Scooter Blenny
Harlequin Tusk
Black Cap Basslet
Foxface Lo

i'm looking over the compatibility list. i guess i'll have to rule out multiple triggers although i think one clown trigger and one niger might be ok. i'll get them pretty small.

so here's my revised list

porc. puffer
spiny box puffer
clown trigger
niger trigger
big angel
flame angel
Heniochus (3-5?)
Limbaughi Chromis (5-7)

(I would like the next two if they didn’t bring the plague)
Purple Tang
Blue Tang

Bimaculatus Anthias

i think the cowfish are very cool but i'm pretty concerned about them killing everything else if they get stressed. i'm also pretty sure that this would be too many fish for a 240g even though i'll have plenty of live rock, a big ass skimmer and a refugium. Any thoughts on this list?

i think the cowfish are very cool but i'm pretty concerned about them killing everything else if they get stressed
They are slow eater and will get outcompeted at feeding time with all of these aggressive fish. I would omit that one.
Would go with one Trigger, they get HUGE! 8O
porc. puffer
clown trigger or
niger trigger
big angel
flame angel
Would be good.
Limbaughi Chromis (5-7)
Should be OK.
I would choose between the Heni's and the Tangs, you have a lot of big fish in there and do not want to overload. 240 seems like a large tank, until the fish grow.
Also would keep the Heni's to 2-3, they also get large.
Needs a mature tank, would not start off with that one.
Also, go slow. Add one at a time with a qt period.
remember 2.5" of adult fish per 10 gallons. :wink:
JMO

hey quarryshark, thanks for your advice. as much as i'd like a tank full of fish, it is much more important to me that they have excellent living conditions. i'll go with just one trigger and probably the heni's over the tangs.

i look forward to picking out the hardware as well but that'll be another post.

Excellent!!! :D
The Heni's are a great choice, you will enjoy their personality. :)

Back
Top Bottom