240g Sump Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I sold my 75g and am in the process of getting a 240g glass tank with an overflow on each end/corner. The current system had two acrylic boxes underneath...one with a skimmer and the other with some kind of wet/dry system. They are connected and it looks like it was one Rio 26 Hyperflow driving that and a Rio 14 hooked to the skimmer. Not sure what kind of skimmer..he said it skimmed great, I figure I can upgrade that later if need be. This will be a FOWLR.

I have a somewhat blank slate at this point and am pretty sure I want to redo it all. I have 35g and 45g acrylic tanks in the garage that I could possibly use as a sump or refugium (probably some DIY involved, but that is fine). I'm open to suggestions. I'm pretty sure I will be changing it up, but am not sure what the best way to go is. I want something that will survive a power outage and not flood the living room.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I plugged both pumps in this morning and it looks like the smaller Rio is not working now. It was last weekend when I saw the tank. I guess suggestions for something similar, but another brand would be in order now too. I've never been a fan of Rio products, so might as well replace with better.

You know the drill on the sump. Calculate how much water drains with power off and set up the sump accordingly. Sounds like a fun project. Maybe build a refugium?

I'm looking at different designs online...I've got those two tanks that I would like to use. I am thinking maybe something like the 45g has filter sock/filter pad and live rock (chamber 1) then skimmer in 2 and then maybe combine the 35g and have water from the 45g go into that and have a refugium in first chamber and the return pump in the second? Maybe use the 45 as the refugium and the 35 as the sump? This also has two acrylic boxes...was thinking that maybe one of those could be some kind of overflow if the first two can't hold enough water when power goes off...just not sure how to set that up or if it will all fit. Getting the tank and stand on Sunday and moving the rest in between.

Back
Top Bottom