240g Upgrade on the Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been talking about it for a while, hit a little savings bump in the road a few months back when one of my hounds needed ear surgery and upgrade money went into that ear, but it looks like the dream is materializing...I went and checked out a 240g (8' version) FOWLR (glass) that this guy has set up with about 200lbs of live rock, a Singapore Angel, Yellow Tang and a Volitan Lionfish. Looked like a skimmer underneath on one side and another filtration set-up on the other side. I honestly was not paying too much attention to that, but I am sure it will work or could be modified to be better, so I will be asking questions on that soon. He is throwing in an RO system and a chiller, plus the lighting, stand/hood and anything else he has. All for $800!

First question...the Volitan Lion is about 7" wingspan. I recently got a Snowflake Moray (little guy, about 10" long). Do you think the Lion would eat the moray? I've never had either, but would like to keep the Lion, if possible.

No, I think the moray will stay out of his way. I housed a pair like this, all though my snowflake was larger. A 7" lion fish can eat a pretty big fish though.

So my two Green Chromis are in trouble? I had not thought about them. I'm not planning in anything too small. The smallest fish I plan on adding is a dwarf angel.

How about a pair of Blue Jaw Triggers? I recall something about not mixing Triggers and Lions, but maybe I am thinking of something else?

The chromis's are toast. The angel if not big enough is the after dinner snack. A big enough triggerfish will stand his ground.

I might just ditch the Lionfish idea then...see if I can sell it locally or trade at a LFS. I've never had one, but they are really cool looking fish...Hmmm...

I agree, and they are pests, so the more collected the better. Unfortunately, just as on a natural reef, they are the ultimate predator.

I wouldn't necessarily consider them pests. they are a beautiful fish that is absolutely amazing to watch. not to mention they have quite a unique swimming style. general rule of thumb is if a fish/ invert/whatever is the size of his head or smaller...the lion will do his best to eat it. as an infant or juvenile, its not too hard to manage, but when they grow out to 12+ inches, watch out! they will eat just about anything.

Yeah...I think I will just sell or trade it. I don't want to have to worry about it eating other fish, even though most will probably be large enough.

I appreciate the feedback.

I wouldn't necessarily consider them pests. they are a beautiful fish that is absolutely amazing to watch. not to mention they have quite a unique swimming style. general rule of thumb is if a fish/ invert/whatever is the size of his head or smaller...the lion will do his best to eat it. as an infant or juvenile, its not too hard to manage, but when they grow out to 12+ inches, watch out! they will eat just about anything.

Check with Florida Fisheries. It is at the top of their invasive species list.

Oh im not debating their place as an invasive fish, just stating that they arent "pests" so to say.

I don't want to have to worry about it eating other fish, even though most will probably be large enough.

Or you can eat him....:whistle:

tagging along! Nice price too might I add for the whole system

Back
Top Bottom