Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My concern is the 4 grammas. I doubt that'd work

Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plz use this compatibility tool and post the results. It's not perfect but still a great tool.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisorMarine.php

Have you started building?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

We've purchased everything aside from lights and piping (and live rock/sand), but nothing is put together, unfortunately. Most of the stuff is still boxed. I honestly haven't a clue what I'm doing, if you couldn't tell. Lol. This will only be our second SW tank but I think it will be good for us, as the large water volume will probably prove quite forgiving to our mistakes...

I'm not good at stocking. I see pretty fish and that's all I think about. This might be fun: If this was your tank, what would you put in it? Anyone and everyone, type out a stock list. It's going to be a while anyway. The more colorful, the better.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

We definitely want a reef tank with lots of brightly colored fish, but I think the majority of our corals will probably be fake; I tried SPS once and I had to rehome them before I killed them. I've always loved sponges. I think they are just great, and for whatever reason, they seem to be really easy compared to corals. I've always loved anemones too, and zoas, but I've never been able to pull off the harder corals, nomatter how hard I try. It's probably my hatred of glaring lights.

My first saltwater tank (when I didn't have ANY IDEA at all) was a maroon clownfish, his anemone, a watchman goby, and his shrimp... And that was it. Unfortunately it was a 20g tank with no sump and it was a total PITA, not worth it at all, so after I met my fiance, he built the 50gL we have together now and we put everyone in there, added a few more (tiny)residents, and left it alone. That was our first SW tank together, and we still love it, but it's a rather permanent fixture in the bedroom and we want something big and gorgeous for the livingroom.... Which is where the 260g comes in.

We definitely want some sort of clownfish, some sort of tang, and something small that will school, as well as residents for the sandbed. As long as we get those, we aren't too picky about which species... As long as they don't kill my sponges, lol. Nobody messes with my sponges.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Fish R friends, not food!

On a tank that size I would use a 125 for the sump. A cubic tank is not good for the sump, you need long tank, not tall.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Let's see, my dream stock list for such a large tank!.....
Just my list so bear with me! LOL

1 Yellow tangs
1 blue tang
1 Scopas
1 Tomini/Bristletooth Tang
4 Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 3 female harem)
3 yellow coris wrasses
1 Sixline wrasse or a fourline or an 8 line
5-7 Chromis for a school
1 Flame Hawk
1 Midas Blenny
1 Sand sifting goby
1 Butterfly fish ( last fish in)
2 Clowns, not sure which ones lol
1 Algae/lawnmower blenny
MAYBE 1 foxface lo or another rabbit fish

As far as other stuff I have a huge list in my head but it contains: Shrimp, emerald crabs, hermits, misc snails etc....

That would be my dream list so hope it helps a bit!

good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Spoonman, I think with the other stuff we bought (particularily the new skimmers) we will be MORE than fine. Lol.

Carey, that list is awesome. I don't have any experience with alot of the fish though. I'm on google, LOL. As long as they won't eat eachother, I'm happy. It's probably going to be a good year before the tank is fully stocked anyway and I'm sure we'll get ideas as time goes on.... Or as I learn more, lol. I really like the lyretail anthias. And the flame hawk.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have squareback anthias's and love them, figured the lyretail would be easier and cheaper. And th flame hawk is an awesome fish, mine is named Sumo and he is so full of personality! Wish I had one in every tank! lol

Tags
60 gallon, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com