265 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I just purchased a 265 gallon tank over the weekend. I am going to take my time and buy things slowly before I set it up. I need help on what products to buy. I have a sump and 2 ai sol lights but that's it. I need suggestions on a skimmer what kind of skimmer should I get, how much live rock should u get, what kind of return pump should I get, how deep should I make the sand bed. Should I stick with sols or get something different. Should I buy a rodi machine and how often and how many gallons should I do when making a water change.

Oh yeah I also meant to ask should i get a calcium reactor, should I get a media reactor.should I get a chiller what are some other things that I should get, I'm sparing no expense because I want to do it right

I can only make a few suggestions. But here's what I think. As far as a skimmer goes vertex has been the best I have and currently using it. But I haven't tried a lot of brands, and this is the nicest of the ones I have tried. I would stick with LEDs. Does your sump have an are for a refugium? I would suggest a refugium an using miracle mud to cut down on your water changes. Not sure how large or how often they would need to be. I do 5 gallons per week on my 110. I would also suggest an rodi unit, I have almost 5 gallons a week in evaporated water, and I would imagine you would have over double that with your tank size. I know I'm glad I got one. As far as return pump the minimum I've heard you want your tank to circulate is 5 times an hour. So the minimum gph you would want your pump to push is 1500 gph and many swear by much more. Also depending on if your sump is behind a wall or below the tank or in the basement you want to watch your max head height. Hope this helps some. If anyone else has anything to ad or if I've gotten something wrong feel free to correct

Thanks so much. What about a calcium reactor or a chiller are those necessary

I have never had one myself and have had a successful mix reef tank. But I hear they are great to have. If you are keeping the tank inside and not using metal halides you shouldn't have a problem with heat. But I am not 100% on that. But I don't know how much the pumps of a calcium reactor and/or media reactor put off

Cool thanks again. How much live rock should I put in

A chiller is not a must unless the ambient room temperature runs higher than your tank. With LED lighting producing very little heat as compared to MH lights or fluorescents a chiller is not nessarry. Unless you want to run a cold water system. A calcium reactor is for a heavily stocked coral tank where normal water changes can't replenish the calcium the corals are using. IME don't dose anything unless your testing for it.

Live rock is usually 1 pound per gallon. So the "norm" for your tank would be 265 pounds. It helps a lot with bio filtration.

Back
Top Bottom