265 reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
interested in starting a 265 reef. any suggestions on a lighting system and or skimmer/filtration? i realize live rock will be the primary filtration. would you add a refugium or wet/dry? thanks in advance

What are the demensions of the tank?

Skimmer....I'd go with an appropriately sized Downdraft skimmwer by ETSS or an appropriately sized EuroReef or ASM skimmer.

I will not own a tank that does not incorporate a refugium again. So I would add the fuge, the wet/dry will be a nutrient sink.

250w MH per 2 foot of tank, depending on dimensions. REFUGE in my opinion is a must for your tank. Iwaki's are my favorite pumps, bullet proof but noiser than some. I would do an iwaki 100. Also check out the TUNZE streams. 3100 GPH at only 45 watts, and you wont need a closed loops. I might get 2 of these on each side of tank and you can control the flow and they can even alternate! Great dependable pumps

I should of said 250 minimum. ANd again reefrunner has a great recomendation. I should of been more thorough, Depends on the corals you want to have too, and if you plan on having a chiller.

mrrrkva said:
and if you plan on having a chiller.

I think that's an important consideration as well. These light can throw off a ton of heat so keep that in mind.

Plan of action,
1) We need dimensions ESPECIALLY depth
2) what corals you plan on keeping, any clams?
3) You getting a chiller?? If not I wouldnt attempt more than 250 JMHO
Heat is an issue on my 200 gallon with 175, I will upgrade to 250's but I am raising my hood and getting new fans!!

250 DE HQI's with lots of VHO supplementation could be the ticket, BUT I HATE it, when you have to upgrade when you could of got what you wanted to begin with!!

I had 400's on a 90 gallon prop (4X2 and only 18 inches deep) and she not only kept water HOT but I didnt have to turn heat on downstairs in my house till Christmas!!

Back
Top Bottom