Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #181
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thibk with the SOL i would need to purchase additional modules to get the white and blue effect. Not sure havent had much time to read on those

Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #182
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I think the same thing so not sure how close the cost would be. lol But those sol's are awesome..but then again that ati fixture is beyond awesome. at least in my jealous eyes. LOL

Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #183
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree...i hear alot of back and fourth arguments on LED's love the look but i dont think im there yet with the knowledge of them. Using different intensitys and modules.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #184
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure of what I'm looking at so I'm at an impasse on them as of now. I really wanna get an led fixture for my 20g rimless coral tank too but I;m still on the fence. I definitely don't have the cash for sols so I;m looking at generic chinese ones mostly. Just have to find the right one..lol

The water shimmer and no bulb replacement is a huge plus in my book. But I'd want adjustable ones and the most techy ones available. lol
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #185
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trust me...there is an Acan LED fixture i almost bought on the spot but the middle brace on my tank made it not worth it...i almost cut it out i wanted them so bad...lol
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have no braces BUT it's rimless so mounting options are somewhat limited.
When I sell off my 20L FW tank I will be moving the rimless to a wall and I figured I'd hang a fixture from that. Maybe get some plant hangers and
spruce them up a bit. lol

heres two of the leds I'm looking at, what do you think? It's for a 20g tank with about 12 inches of depth of water after the sandbed

Amazon.com: Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Sunvalleytek

LED Aquarium Light; AquaRay AquaBeam, GroBeam Cree XR, XG Emitter; PAR 38, Rio Mini Sun Lighting
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #187
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On the second link which one were you looking at?

The first one seems decent for the price...not a fan of only two reviews though. But at least they are.good reviews.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, the first one is the chinese fixture but it seems to have enough light behind it.

The second page I was looking at the aquabeam 1000's and 1500's. I dont have a canopy so their lights towards the top of the page wouldnt work for me. They (the ones I'm looking ) seem to also produce alot of light. But who knows, they could be crappy. lol

I plan on grabbing Mr X later and asking him his thoughts. he is like my lighting guru. hehe
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #189
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya i usually hit up Mr. X for my lighting questions. I do like the first units specs. Seems like a bit of power, especially for your size tank. But again, i know zero on LED's i apologize for my lack of knowledge, but im always around to spitball ideas!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #190
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's one of the things i like most about this forum, you can bounce ideas off each other and get a feel for what you wanna do. X gave the semi thumbs up for the first fixture. I;d like to have anything I want in this 20g we're talking about, even a clam. So alot of light would be necessary. Also considering a mini maxi nem in a few months too.

Thanks for your input, its appreciated.

Tags
8 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com